Transmission woes...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don

My relatively new (to me) 1993 H37.5 has serious transmission problems. If you recall my previous post, it's basically not going into gear when I shift. It's not the linkage, because it actually is going into gear when I shift, and the shaft turns slowly. Just when I speed up, the trans does not speed up. It will engage at some point, but it's failry random. Generally if I bring the throttle down and speed back up it will be in gear. This problem has been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks with use. My mechanic says no one here rebuilds 'em (on the Chesapeake.) It's a "Kanzaki" trans on a 3JH Yanar. Says I have to buy a new one $2400 + labor to install. Yikes! Does anyone have experience with rebuilding these? Suggestions on who can do the work? Other ideas? Please help.

M

Miles

Second opinion...

I'm not an expert but it would seem like it would be possible to either adjust the clutch packs or replace them if worn without having to junk the whole transmission. You might want to try calling Mack Boring (www.mackboring.com), they are the US distributors for Yanmar engines and could probably give some good advice...

J

Jim

Transmission response

Try Conley Marine at Herrington Harbor North..about twenty miles south of Annaoplis..He can pull and send it out for rebuild . and then put it back in.. he did one a few years ago for me.. and it was about $950

B

Bryan

rebuilds

I had a 31 with transmission problems very similar to yours. I pulled the transmission myself and took it to Houston (Blue water ship store) They repacked and replaced the clutch packs. Also replaced the front and rear seals for about $250.00. The engine model was a Yanmar 2GM20 with the original Japanese transmission. Replacement cost was about $1500.00. It was very easy to take out and replace the transmission. took about 30mins to take out. If you had to ship it some where, it weighed about 40 lbs. ( Yours might be a little heavier) Still worth the cost........even if you had to ship it to Houston. Good Luck

B

Bryan

rebuilds

I had a 31 with transmission problems very similar to yours. I pulled the transmission myself and took it to Houston (Blue water ship store) They repacked and replaced the clutch packs. Also replaced the front and rear seals for about $250.00. The engine model was a Yanmar 2GM20 with the original Japanese transmission. Replacement cost was about $1500.00. It was very easy to take out and replace the transmission. took about 30mins to take out. If you had to ship it some where, it weighed about 40 lbs. ( Yours might be a little heavier) Still worth the cost........even if you had to ship it to Houston. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.