Transmission or engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allan Lansche

I have a 1982 Catalina 38 with a Universal Atomic diesel engine model 5424, serial number 311064. The engine will start and run fine but when I put it into forward or reverse and increase the throttle, the engine will die. I can restart without any problem but when I put it in gear, the engine will die. All the filters have been replaced, fresh fuel, replaced the lift pump. I checked the prop shaft and there is nothing binding it that I can tell. Does this sound familiar and what can I do to solve the problem.

D

Dave Ullrich

Fouled Prop?

It really sounds like fouled prop. I'd check that first. If it free wheels ealily when in neutral, I'd get the tranny checked.

I

Ike Stephenson- Torresen Marine

Transmission

If the engine runs well out of gear, and the prop shaft is free it sounds like a reverse gear problem. You need to have your tranmission looked at, you'll probably find a bearing or something similar gone away. The transmission is not moving freely and is killing your engine.

A

Allan Lansche

Got it fixed

All, I had to have the cutless bearing replaced. It was binding the prop shaft and killing the engine. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.