Transmission got salt water inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Will Pierson

I have a 1984 Catalina 30 with the XP 25 Universal Diesel. Because of my syupidity I allowed the boat to take on salt water and the transmission has been filled with it. I have removed it and have flushed with fresh water and filled it with dexron. What should my next step be? I think this trans takes Dexron fluid but have to check. I see no plate telling what type of fluid as trans was painted and rusty when I bought the boat. Is there a chance of saving it or should I just rebuild? Thanks, WILL

B

Bob Clark

flush, flush!

Will, funny how many postings there are about transmission fluid! My old Yanmar originally came with engine crankcase oil in it, but in 1981 Yanmar changed its mind and said to use Dexron. I urge you to flush and re-flush. I was thinking I might even fill the tranny case with acetone, slosh it around somehow, and then quickly suck it back out, on the idea that acetone dissolves into water and enables it to flow out of small spaces. Then re-fill with Dexron, maybe run it for a few hours, and replace the oil. In other words, do what you might do to an outboard engine that gets dunked. Good luck!

G

Gordon Torresen

And flush again

Yours is a Hurth reversing gear. It requires ATF oil. You should not have to rebuild. You did the right thing by getting the water out and putting in new oil. You want to keep changing the oil, running the engine with the gear engaged, preferrably until the gear warms up, and then changing the oil again. Keep changing it until it comes out looking exactly as it did when you put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.