Transmission Cable

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
OK so Luna is needing new cables. Buuuutt... The transmission cable I am getting mixed information about when researching online, and even from Catalina Direct. Note on the Catalina Direct, I talked to the sales staff not the tech staff, Tech staff will be available tomorrow.

So my boat has a Universal 5411 engine. According to CD's website I should be able to use the standard cable for both the throttle and transmission. But my boat has the large diameter heavy duty cable. The CD website says I would need the heavy duty cable for the Atomic 4 engine. The sales guy at CD said it was because of my throttle/transmission controls and not the transmission itself. I find this odd as the controls (as far as I have been able to tell) were the same between the 2 different engines for my year. As far as I can tell I my boat always has had the 5411 in it. I have all the signs that this was the original engine.

As you all know I do not mind modifying my throttle assembly to accomplish my goal of getting my boat back in the water, so if making a change to my bracket is needed for the smaller cable to work... ok that's fine.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Have you tried looking for ID numbers on the existing cable(s)?

"The control cable part number contains its length Teleflex cables are usually listed as CC???XX, where XX = length in feet. For example: Part Number CCX63320 = 20 ft. CCX633 Control Cable or Morse® Part Number 032377-03-240.0 = 20 ft. 33C Control Cable (240" = 20')

For Replacement of Existing Cable: If you removed the old cable, measure for replacement cable as follows: Measure from tip to tip and round up to the next foot, if necessary (aftermarket cables are sold in foot increments)."

Here is some general info you may already have.

FAQs For Teleflex Controls and Cables - Wholesale Marine

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Provide model an year of your Catalina. In my case it was not the cable, but the moving exle that the lever was connected in the binnacle needed to be lubricated. Disconnecting the cable from the engine may still indicate that cable is needed since it will still be hard to move. Disconnect the cable from both ends and see if it moves effortlessly first.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Provide model an year of your Catalina. In my case it was not the cable, but the moving exle that the lever was connected in the binnacle needed to be lubricated. Disconnecting the cable from the engine may still indicate that cable is needed since it will still be hard to move. Disconnect the cable from both ends and see if it moves effortlessly first.
Both cables are out of the boat and rusted solid. The transmission cable was definitely underwater, the brackets are rusted so bad you can’t tell what was a bolt… it’s just a bump. It’s going to spend some quality time in some EvapoRust. The throttle cable is frozen solid too, but it will wiggle at the control end, but the engine end is rock solid like the transmission cable.

I’m just wondering what makes the need for the heavy duty cable.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Mike, thanks for clarifying. Looks like you are right and new cables are needed. I wonder if there is any text printed on them. The length of it is usually marked with a hot iron. Let us know how you located the cables.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Mike, thanks for clarifying. Looks like you are right and new cables are needed. I wonder if there is any text printed on them. The length of it is usually marked with a hot iron. Let us know how you located the cables.
Will do. I plan on playing with them tomorrow and getting them in the rust stuff. Today was not a good outside day here.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mike. It might be worth a shout to the SBO Store to see if they have the cables in the new warehouse of Catalina parts that they are selling.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Mike. It might be worth a shout to the SBO Store to see if they have the cables in the new warehouse of Catalina parts that they are selling.
I would have had I not already got both the cables. They are not installed yet, but are in the boat and I’m getting ready to install them here soon.