Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I’m sitting here at anchor on a calm and perfect late fall morning in Sarah’s Creek, Gloucester Point, VA. The jib is up and unrolled to dry as still and silent as if it were a sheet of steel. Nothing is to be heard except the calls of birds and the ringing in my ears that is the constant reminder of my summer cutting up aluminum plates with a 5 hp Skill Saw in Paul Luke’s boatyard without ear protection. The good old days weren’t always that good.

Many of these posts have been about the things that eventually face all full time cruisers, medical emergencies, major system failures, and the legal complexities of living off the grid in what is rapidly becoming a police state. Now, I get to write about another, the sudden and unplanned hauling and storage of the vessel that has been your home.

It is a morning full of the complexity and contradictions of life. As soon as the early morning sun has done its work, hopefully before a breeze comes up, I will take the first step in disassembling and putting away my home of the last two and a half years which has slid her keel over 6480 nautical miles of water since this forum began. It is bittersweet but time also hangs heavy as over a week until I get off the train to see Dreameagle’s smile seems to stretch as far as the distant smudge of land on the horizon does when spray is flying and I am bucking into twenty knot wind and foul tide. I am leaving all that has become normal to me but look forward to life ashore even more eagerly than I did this voyage.

I know that I will be returning to Strider and there will be sailing and cruising adventures to come but they will be different. I began saying that I was going to do this until someone had to come and carry me off the boat. The experience of that mental space was essential to the spiritual and emotional quest of this adventure but I have learned its lessons and grown. There is much more I want to do in the life that remains than move the boat and have the view constantly changing. As I’ve said so often, the essence of cruising is being able to change your mind.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Milwaukee
Great words to mark the change from one part of your life to the next. You're a lucky couple. Best to you in the future.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Fair winds and following seas, Roger

We have enjoyed our share of your cruising so much. Our best wishes go with you as you move on!

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
I began saying that I was going to do this until someone had to come and carry me off the boat.
And so you did. But this one allows, nay even encourages, the opportunity to return, rather than the alternative. And everyone appears happy about this option. :thumbup:

Good luck to yourself and Dreameagle.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There is that old cliche about Life is what happens while (and maybe despite the fact that ) you are planning things .. Your heart will drive you to where you are supposed to be.. Bon Chance!

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I've just spent my last solo sunset and night at anchor as I am moving into a slip later today.

There will certainly be nights alone on a boat ahead of me in life but I will not be truly alone since it will not be just myself that makes the decision to be there. The decision to haul the boat marks the beginning a commitment to share life and decide things together.

You'll all be glad to hear that Dreameagle wants to do a lot of cruising on Strider. Right now, she is probably more enthusiastic about it than I am since it is new to her and routine for me. However, being on the boat with her makes it as exciting and new as it was when I first started out over two years ago.

There will be lots of cruising stories to post here once her healing is complete. The plan is still to return to the boat and head south about the beginning of February. It will be a cold adventure but an unusual time to write about the low country. We'll run quickly into spring and then follow its progress back north.

Status
Not open for further replies.