transducer mount-be careful!!!

Apr 7, 2006
You cann't see it- usually but just forward of the visable lead keel is a transducer pocket- We were launching Muskrat after an injury to her centerboard trunk and the yard had the forward sling just forward of the lead and it totally crushed the cover (just a few layers of glass over some foam. You could not see the cover as it had layers of bottom paint over it.

I looked at my plans and sure enough- the keel is even poured to have a flat surface to mount it, and the area is labeled as a transducer mount.

Make sure your yard doesn't put the straps there!!

Jon

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Yikes! I'm well aware of that spot as we seem to crunch it every haul out and even about every other launch! The slings slip. My yard has a hard time avoiding it even when they can see it. Despite lashing the slings, they still slip.

I still have my sender there and cover it with a piece of copper flashing. A few screws and some goop are all that hold it. When it gets crunched, I (or yard, they're used to it) pull the screws, bang the copper flat and old it back over and refasten.

When that transducer gives up, I think I'll glass it in, properly, and mount one inside the hull. I sure don't like it! What do you have now Jon for transducer location? What did you do with the old cut out this time?

One more question, what happened to your trunk?

Apr 7, 2006
Our transducer is off to the side mounted on a block. We filled it in with solid glass and cloth.

The top of the trunk got a crack on the side when the board slmmed up and hit- we thought it was all the way up and of course we were too close to the inner ledge in Cosy Harbor. WE have gone in & out the channel for 30 years------ last winter the spindle blew over and the new one is about 6 feet farther to the north- you cann't stay the same distance off!!

We have the new fuel tanks out and every thing stripped and covered up. I'll take some pix.

Tom how do I get the pixels right- it always says my pix are too big

Jan 3, 2011
Jon and Tom,
This is about as close as I can get to you guys online!

Jon -- Wow! Muskrat/Tarna looks lovely, and I hope you're enjoying her. I couldn't think of a better custodian.

Tom -- Miss you while I've been without a vessel for the past couple of years, but it looks from what I read in print and see on the Internet that at least you're afloat and Christmas is thriving, as well as you and family.

Happy New Year to you both.

Heidi Hansen

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Heidi, me too, You were a lot of help for Challenger info in the beginning. Very nice surprise to see your post here.