Transducer medium?

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hello all,
My Airmar in hull transducer mount slowly seeps the mineral oil filler over a period of about 2 weeks. I refill and am fine for another 2 weeks or so. I have it mounted to the hull under the forward vee berth and literally have to go into the access head first. Working upside down is getting more and more difficult for a 77 year old man. Short of pulling the mounting cup free and reseating it to a different spot, is anyone using a more viscous material that won't seep?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No.
Mineral Oil appears to be the product most used.
You might try and find the site of the leak. It should not be leaking out.

Perhaps the case has aged. All things tend to leak a little as they age.:biggrin:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
My Airmar in hull transducer mount slowly seeps the mineral oil filler over a period of about 2 weeks.
I've never understood these transducers which require being mounted in mineral oil when every other in-hull transducer is fixed to the hull with silicone, beeswax toilet bowl sealant, eopxy and a few other things.

Check the archives for testing a Xducer using a sealed baggie of water. You might find yourself surprised.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The mounts are angled so the transducer itself is level. These work where it isn’t possible or convenient to mount it in a flatter spot in the hull. I had one once, it leaked. Any liquid will work mineral oil is used because it won’t freeze. I used pink antifreeze until it started leaking then I switched to water. Never had a problem with freezing because the water leaked out.

Try remounting the mount using butyl tape.