Training in Diesel Engine Repair and Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Wyngarden

I am planning a trip up the Inside Passage to Alaska in the foreseeable future. Before going, I want to get a lot more knowledgeable about my engine and how to fix it if something goes wrong while we're in a remote area. (Might also save a few bucks locally if I can do this stuff myself.) Has anyone been to a good class on this? I'm also thinking I'd like to pay somebody to train me on how to do the basics on my own boat. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks for your help! Gary Wyngarden S/V Shibumi H335

B

Bob Teeter

Diesel Engine Repair Clases

Gary, You are in a remote area, but if you can find your way to a Community College system, you may find a class. Here in Portland there is a class taught just for small marine diesel engine repair and maintenance. You are not going to overhaul an engine, but you will know all of the basics and what to look for. On a diesel most of the time you are dealing with a fuel problem. If it isn't that it is cooling. Either way you may check in your area for a class. You may even want to check with the local high school to seef if they have a shop class that deals with diesel repair. You may be surprised. Good luck on your trip. Bob

M

Mickey Goodman

Diesel Engine Training

My boat has a Yanmar diesel engine. The east coast distributor for Yanmar, Mack Boring, puts on a one day owners training class, which I took, and a 3 day class which, obviously, goes into much more detail. I would recommend that you contact the local distributor of the engine type you have in your boat and find out from them where you could attend a training class in your specific engine. I must say the one day training was extremely valuable. I learned some things about my Yanmar I don't think I would have learned in a generic diesel class, like one use only washers, specific info about Yanmars proprietory oil filter, specific engine oil type, tricks for bleeding the fuel system. I would have been "stuck" at least twice this season had I not taken the class. Good Luck,

R

Rip Edmundson

The Mack Boring 2-day class is terrific

I took the one-day intro class and the two-day in-depth class at Mack Boring in New Jersey last February. It was well worth the money and a valuable experience. I have done all the maintenance on my engine this summer and feel much more confident on the water. They provided an engine exactly like mine to work on (20GM2F).

Status
Not open for further replies.