Trailorable Sailboat to the Apostle Islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Mason

I am very interested in purchasing a 260 in the future in order to explore some of the wonderful lakes in the Midwest (Namely Minnesota

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Be Careful - Mosquitos!!!!

MOSQUITOS? Looking at the maps which show all that water, islands, and bays, makes one salivate for cruising the Great Lakes area. Several years ago I towed our 16 foot day sailor from Rhode Island over the Mackinaw (Mackinac?) bridge to cruise the upper Michigan peninsula. It was late June, the sky was a beautiful blue, the air warm, and the scenery just gorgeous. Well, things were about to change. The windshield started turning black from dead mosquitoes and it was becoming difficult to see out! At first opportunity I pulled into a gas station up alongside the water hose and thought about getting out. These little monsters never showed up on these tourist brochures and we didn’t have any "Off"! Looking at those vampires flying around just outside the window I thought long and hard how to do this. I quickly opened the door, jumped out, closed the door, and ran for the water hose, squirted the windshield down, scraped, squirted the windshield some more, then ran for the car. Once inside we tried killing all the critters that we could and left. I don’t recall stopping again (we were headed to the west coast) until we got well into Wisconsin or Minnesota Recommendation: Pop lots of vitamin E and B complex (I’ve heard that this helps with some people) and takes lots of mosquito repellant. To all those who respond to your post don’t JUST talk about how nice the area is; please really help Tim out and let him know about those vampires!!! Where they aren't and how to avoid them. Tim: Where are you coming from? [maybe this sounds harsh, but, this was a long time ago and we still have those memories (nightmares?) about that experience. I know I'll probably get "blodied" over this but one has to look out for the unsuspecting persons]

J

Joe Baker

Response, response

I have never been quite so inclined to totally trash someone for their horrible response. Sorry John!! Obviously, the mosquito response was quite unrelated to the question. We sailed our H-26 many times around the Apostle Islands and can't recall ever seeing a mosquito. Much of that area leaves one in awe. The water is clear and quite cool (swimable in late July and early August). There are spectacular views, many island trails, several lighthouses to visit, numerous anchorages (some excellent harbors), and the quaint city of Bayfield, WI that beckons to be explored with it's many shops, beautiful flowers and local cuisine. We sailed with friends that had a 23 ft. Precision but the 26 is on the low end of acceptable boats for the area. Bayfield is the main supply center for the Apostle Islands. Most islands have no commercial interests and are quite natural. Madeline Island has a small town, a state park, and a marina. There are several marinas from Bayfield to Ashland. A week is a little short for a nice trip around the Apostles. We spent anywhere to a few days to over a week at times. We've also sailed our 26 around Lake Superior's Isle Royale. Simply unforgetable! Last year we upgraded to a H-34 and have it on Leech Lake. Walker, MN is the Bayfield like town of Leech Lake. It is easy to spend a week or two on Leech. Lake of the Woods is another beautiful spot for a 26. The Red Lakes and Mille Lacs are not really sailing oriented. The Voyagers National Park area is another excellent sailing adventure. In other words, yes, the H-26 or 260 are awesome trailerable boats that open up a myriad of possibilities. Happy Sailing!

R

Ray Bowles

Tim, My response is about the boat selection

as I have no experence sailing in that area. The Hunter 26, or 260, is a great, reasonabily towable boat. It is the largest towable sailboat I have heard of. The boat and trailer weighs about 4500# and can be towed by a full size pickup. We tow our 26 with a Ford 1/2 ton 4X4. Mast setup is a breeze. We sail in NE Washington State and take many 7 to 10 day sailing trips in a summer. The 26 is perfect for the two of us with a nice galley and comfortable aft bunk. Our 26 was equiped with a marine head and 20 gallon holding tank with deck pump out. This is good for about 8 days of use. The new 260's also have a marine head but I'm not sure of the size of the holding tank. Long trips with a "porta-potty" would be a trip I would skip. Packing a "poo pot" down a dock to dump somehow changes my outlook about a quiet layed back sailing trip. You will love your boat if you choose either of these two. The 26 is basically the same, just cheaper. If you can find one. Enjoy Ray

C

Craig Steinkraus

Apostile Islands

Tim, I spend 3-4 weeks a year in and around the Apostiles. While I know nothing about the 260, I see many boats smaller than 26 ft anchored throught the islands. If the weather gets bad, there are plenty of places to duck into for protection. I personally have had no problem with the skeeters, but after a hatch, the Black Flies can be a day spoiler. I think you will enjoy the area very much. Craig Steinkraus " Wings " C38-#280

T

Tim Mason

Thanks John, but...

Thanks John for your concern about the mosquitos, but as I was raised in Minnesota, I know all about mosquitos. It is just that I have spent too many nights on shore wondering what it would be like to "really explore" some of the wonderful lakes in the midwest with a sailboat. I sailed for the first time around the Apostle Islands and saw a couple of Hunter 26's and 260's around Bayfield. I would love to hear more details about how the 260 handles the sudden wind changes and storms around the Apostle Islands, and more about Leach Lake and Lake of the Woods. There is a great video called "Trailer Sailor" that is specifically to help the trailer sailor evaluate several destinations (Detroit Lake OR, Flathead Lake MT, Lake Pend Oreille, Lake Champlain) but there are many other great places, Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota, The Ozarks etc. For my family the 26 or 260 looks like the boat for us, and until I find the one for us, I will keep learning by listening to messages posted on HOW. Thanks for the stories and interest. Tim Mason

M

Mike Pajewski

Two visits for us

Tim, we have trailored our boats to the Apostle's twice. The first time was with a Hunter 23.5, the second with a Hunter 26. After our first trip, we felt we needed a bigger boat. Winds that week were very strong and there were several days that we either stayed home or should have. The second time we went, we only ran into one really windy day. Both trips were around the first week of August. We stayed in a condo at Port Superior condominiums and daysailed to different islands each day. They rent condo's with attached docks, so it was very convenient. On bad weather days, we were able to take advantage of shore side entertainment and activities. This was a concession to my wife who still wanted creature comforts at night. This limited our journeys to the islands closer to Bayfield. The 26 handled the lake just fine. It is all a matter of catching good weather. Mosquitos were only really a problem when dusk would fall, and never out over the lake, only close to shore. If you make the trip, bring warm clothes and gloves as temperatures in the 40's are not uncommon in the morning. Practice Med-mooring, as that was required at the Stockton island dock. We have since moved to Eastern Wisconsin, and sail on Lake Michigan and Lake Winnebago. My 26 was very comfortable on a weeklong trip to Door County last summer. There are pictures posted in the photo forum. Mike Pajewski H26 "Loon"

Status
Not open for further replies.