Trailers for Mac 26 (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry

I have a 1993 26' Classic. Frankly, the trailer looks like it was made for a 19' Mac but it is the correct model. What I see is that a lot of the aft part of the boat is unsupported. I have a 9.9hp Honda (which is within Mac specs) so there's around 100 lbs of motor hanging off the back. Yes, you can have the proper tongue weight and the boat/trailer balance can be corrected by adding weight forward on the trailer. Trailering isn't the only issue. The boat is out of balance in its relationship to the trailer itself. When driving down the highway I can actually see the bow move up and down several inches in relationship to the winch. I can add weight inside the bow but that's quite a bit of weight. I can add a gunwale strap across the bow. The fact remains that the boat doesn't appear to be well supported and the trailer doesn't seem to be designed to consider engine weight. I really don'tlike this setup. My question is: "what other brands and models of trailers have people used with 26' Macs?"

M

Mark Alexander

Trailer balance

I have a 1988 26D. I use a 6HP 4 stroke. All things being equal, I have a positive tounge weight. When I trailer the boat I usually stowe as much gear in the V birth to keep the weight up front. This help prevent sway. I recently moved the battery fron the back lazarette to the port side under the seats. Made a major difference in weight distribution. I plan on getting a 9.9hp for our salt water ventures. The 6HP is great for inland lakes. Check out my home page for the Battery mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.