Trailering

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dodie

Is there a trick you would share with a novice about getting the boat back onto the trailer? The manual says just drive the boat onto the trailer, but when going very slowly, steering is difficult, especially in windy conditions.

C

Captain Kimo

Recovery Mac26X on to Trailer

Ahoy Dodie - The secret is to keep a little keel down (about 4" on the CB line; mark it with black felt tip). This will give you about 1' 10' of keel. This will keep you from "side slipping" in high winds as you approach at slow speed to the trailer. Also have both rudders down. As you approach the trailer, aim the bow for the windward goal post or even higher into the wind depending on the winds strength. You might want to increase the height of these "goal posts" at the back of the trailer with PVC pipe as a sleeve over the goal posts (1 1/2" to 2" in diameter PVC) this will allow you to see the goal posts when you get in close, otherwise you lose sight of them as they go under the bow. The PVC pipes should roll with the hull/rub rails touching and passing by. As you put the O/B in neutral, you should be lined up and crossing the back frame (where the goal posts are) of the the trailer. Pull up the CB with an extention to the line if single handed, or have crew pull up. Then drive the boat to the V stop and keep the O/B in gear and hold the boat to the V stop till you can connect the trailer/bow line hook to the boat bow pad eye. Take up as much slack as you can on the trailer crank. Go back and turn off O/B, pull up and secure rudders, you ready to be pulled out. In a very high wind, and you have a dock, you might be able to walk the boat using bow and stern lines on to the trailer if it is positioned close along side to the finger dock. I motor on the trailer all the time. I do have marks from where the hull touches the black fenders if I don't line up correctly LOL. They come off with non bleach SoftScrub. "Fair winds and a following sea to you, Dodie" Capt. Kimo

P

Pat in Nuevo Mexico

retrieving 26s classic onto trailer

We have a 26s "classic", which doesn't have quite the windage of the X, but also has less motor power. My crew doesn't like to get wet, so tossing a bow line to someone near the trailer who could help center the boat isn't an option. Life is easier if you have crew who don't mind getting wet by standing alongside the trailer. I try to make an approach that allows me to chicken out and try again if winds get to squirrely. Also, we have had our MacGregor stock trailer modified with two bunk boards on each side of the boat and a v-bunk below the bow, which help center to boat if it approaches the trailer at an angle. On my approach, I already have the centerboard up and the rudder partway up - enough up so it won't catch in the bottom if the trailer has to back up but down enough so I can use rudder, motor, or both for steering. Trying to outguess wind puffs, crabbing into the wind, and then straightening up at the last moment can be either a game or a bit nerve-wracking, depending upon just how bad winds are. Picking a less-crowded time to retrieve helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.