trailering the motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Kivel

Hi all, I read a thread from three years back about transporting the motor on the trailer or on the boat. It seemed like there were some solutions, but I couldn't quite figure out what they were. We are taking a trip in about a month and I would like to take the motor, but I really don't want it in the minivan with us. On the subject, do any of you put anything else in the boat or on the trailer when you are trailering? Last year the only thing I felt comfortable putting in the boat were the life jackets (which I tied to the forward cleats and put in the cargo area). John

D

D.R.Hartzell

I fixed my motor transporting problem and the flimsy forward mast/winch support at the same time. I had a 2" square steel tube about a foot or so welded to a 2" square tube riser at 90º, that was attached to the trailer with u-bolts and a flat plate. This made my boat winch and mast support many times stronger. (in case of an accident), and gave me a very nice area to mount the motor on the trailer. Even if you didn't have an outboard, I would still strengthen the trailer this way.

R

Rusty

Trailering

Mr. Hartzell's advice on strengthening the forward mast rack is well taken. As I trailer almost exclusivly, I too have made adjustments to mimimize the mast sway. I cut my upright off so the tips of the spreaders (I leave them attached to the mast)just clear the seats when stowed. I would guess that I cut off 12" or so. This eliminated a lot of sway. The square stock is a better idea. Also, making the height lower makes it a lot easier to mess with the mast when stowing or removing from the rack. You don't have to stand on the tongue to reach it! As for putting stuff in the boat while trailering...fill it up. I put bikes, kayaks, boat bumpers and gear... whatever will not need to come into the cabin upon arrival. Just tie it all down. If the stuff may hurt the boat (like bikes) properly secure them and use some padding of some sort (life jackets?). I use carpeting stapped into place with bunjees or held in the correct spots with Duct Tape. Have a good trip. Rusty

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 170 Midlothian, VA
Build a "transom"

A friend told me that he would put everything he could in the boat when going on vacation. He fashioned a piece of ply wood to act as a transom to close up the stern, put the cover on the boat and away he went.

Jun 8, 2004
- - Owensboro, KY
Motor mount brace kit

Found this website which has several accessories listed for the 170. Not sure how the brace kit is hooked up but would be interesting to see. http://www.nboat.com/hunterboats/hunter170/parts.shtml

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Mast / trailer mount

Hello all, Another method I've found to preventing mast sway while trailering is to bring the un-stepped mast forward in the cradle so that the spreader tips are parallel to (and just inside) the jib sheet fairlead/jamcleat pivot assemblies. Next I use standard bungie-cord loops (the kind I use have a loop of bungie and a stopper ball knotted onto the end) to lash the spreader boots (port & starboard) to the cleat assemblies. Works really well, so long as they're tight, but not in a weak spot on the spreader end boots (nor binding any section of the shroud cables). Fair winds, Mike G. "Lil Sport" Alachua, FL

J

john12527

Thanks for all the help

Sadlly it took me so long to get all the lights working and re-pack the bearings that I will have to stick the motor in the back of the minivan on this trip after all. When we get back I will see about shortening the mast support and adding a motor mount to it. I hope I can tow the boat with the kayak on the roof without the mast hitting the kayak!!! But I can figure that one out on my own. John

Jun 6, 2004
- - Washington DC
Welded tube?

Wonder if you could send a picture--not sure what you did but it sounds like a good idea. Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.