Trailer Tongue Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
I posted this in reply to another message. May benefit other 170 owners. Joe ............................... Hi Gball, Hope all's well. Reading your post I'd like to suggest your life will be easier if you reduced your tongue weight to no more than 10% of total weight if possible. The best I could acheive is still a little heavy...100lb. Put a bathroom scale on a chair to test with trailer level. You'll need to get an approx weight of boat & trailer...my 170 & Karavan is around 800-900 lbs. Truckstop scales on the highway will do if lacking specs. Next is to reduce by a combination of pushing boat rearward on trailer. Will require bunker and crutch adjustments etc when done. If like my standard package, probably won't be enough so next is positioning Trailer Axle forward. Loosen mounting U Bolt nuts and use a BFH to pound mounts forward-a little at a time each side-until around 10% at tongue. Too heavy (>10%) is a pain! and too light (<5%) causes trailer sway. as I said I had to settle with around 100lb as axle could not be moved forward enough. Much better than the 160lb I started with! One final note is wheel tracking. To ensure a straight true pull, hook up to your vehicle. Pour strips of water in front of the vehicle wheels and drive STRAIGHT over the water. Observe where the trailer tires track in relation to the vehicle. Acheive a symetrical-from-centerline position for straight true tracking by moving one side of axle forward or rearward as needed. Once done, you'll wish you did this a long time ago!

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Thanks, Joe-- re: Trailer stuff

Joe, Thanks for this info. I'd thought about moving the wheels/axle fwd. on my 170's trailer, but, since the MagicTilt doesn't have any bolt holes drilled in the trailer frame forward of where the springs are currently mounted, I abandoned that, knowing moving the load aft (repositioning bow stanchion and bunks further aft) will be easier. Has anyone else been able to move the wheels fwd. on a MagicTilt? Each wheel's spring has a fore and aft bolt put straight through the trailer's frame-- but no holes forward of the factory axle positioning. As far as the tongue load goes, there's no "ouch" in it for me: I have a Fulton tongue jack on the trailer, so hoisting the trailer onto the receiver hitch is no problem--- just (as you mention) wonder what the weight distrib. does to my driving performance/adhesion/braking safety. Gball

J

Joe

MagicTilt

Mike, My Karavan is a non-tilt so was a snap for me. You could see the effect of a 5-10 tongue weight by throwing some sand bags or other weight in the stern, check tongue for around 100lb and go for a drive. Think you'll see a nicer tow. Joe

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Thanks, Joe!

I'll get a better balance (moving axle forward, or load back) on it sometime. The question now is just, where do I FIND the time to do it! I assume moving the trailer's bow stanchion/mast holder aft is way easier than moving the axle forward. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.