Trailer Specs for O'Day 22 Shallow Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Young

Several folks have asked for information to either build or to convert a trailer to fit a 22' O'Day with the shallow draft keel. With the help of O'Day owner Gerry Riddle, here are some specs from his Lil Dude trailer that may help. I don't have the capability of producing a drawing and attaching it to the message so I will do my best to describe it in words. The trailer is a single axle with a GVWR of 2698 to 2990 depending upon the tires used. The GAWR is listed as 2392 and 2691. The trailer frame is about 6' wide. It is 6' 2" between the inside of the wheel fenders and 7' 6" between the outside of the wheel fenders. The side and cross rails are 2" high and the bottom of the side rail sits 20" off of the pavement. The cross rails dip in the middle in the shape of a shallow letter U to receive the keel. There is a flat bunk board in this dip on which the keel sits. The height of the keel above the pavement (top of keel bunk) is 19.25". The side bunk boards sit about 19.5" on either side of a centerline that runs fore and aft through the trailer. There are 4 sets of vertical arms that hold the bunk boards and pads in place. Measuring from the aft of the trailer going forward the first set of arms is at 34" the next set is another 33" the third set is another 33" and the forward most set another 20" The height of the bunk boards above the cross rails at each of these locations (in the same order.) is 19.25", 18", 19", and 18.5" at the foremost pad. (Since the rails are 2" high you would add 2" to those measurements to get the height of the bunk boards above the pavement.) The foremost arm holds a pad about 4"x4". The remaing 3 arms have a bunk board that extends along all three from fore to aft. The boat sits on the trailer with the center (from fore to aft) of the keel over the axle. The transom hangs over the back of the trailer by 36". It is 203" from the bow pad on the winch post to the back of the trailer. It is 73.5" from the back of the trailer to the axle. The bow pad meets the bow a foot or so below the deck, so the top of the bow extends a bit forward of the bow pad. I measured the tounge at 148" and believe that it starts at the cross rail on which the foremost bunk arms are located. (My notes are a little fuzzy here.) This trailer also has a tounge extender that is a 10' piece of channel iron that slips inside the existing tounge and fastens in place with a shoulder bolt that passes through both pieces of channel. The tounge extender has a hitch on it to make the change over go quickly if you are launching into shallow water. The back of the trailer is notched to recieve the keel. The notch is 2' wide (1' on either side of the center line) and 3' deep. The notch is tapered and lined with guide boards to help direct the keel onto a roller which helps it get onto the keel bunk board. The keel bunk board has vertical guide boards on either side that help to keep the keel over the centerline of the trailer during the loading process. I hope this helps someone select a trailer that they can use. These specifications are for information only. I trust that if people are building or converting a trailer they will do additional research to ensure that they do so safely or that they will get a professional to build the trailer for them. I spoke to the owner of the local boat trailer shop and he said that he carries the arms to raise up the bunk boards and that he has performed the conversions, so help is out there. Regards, J

R

Randall

O'day trailer question

This email is for anybody. I was wondering if you know of any models of trailers that are well known and abundant that would work great for the O'day 22 shoal draft keel sailboat which can be converted or not. My e-mail is tactical7@sbcglobal.net I also have an O'day 22 shoal draft sailboat that I would liked to sale $1500 obo. No trailer unless I can modify or find one. Sincerly, Randall

Status
Not open for further replies.