trailer rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2007
HUNTER 25.5 St. Augustine
I have a Capri 16 which I keep on a trailer. I've found that the trailer is rusting badly and I need to restore it or may lose it permanently to the rust demons. Any good advise on arresting the rust and how to repaint and prevent the rust in the future? Thanks. Steph

G

gary

rust

take the trailer and have it sandblasted and then you can apply a coat or two of rustolium. i did this to my trailer about 4 years ago and it still looks good.

Jun 17, 2004
- - pueblo, co
I've heard good things about POR

POR= "Paint Over Rust". I too would sandblast first tho. i'm thinking of trying it on my iron keel. william

May 18, 2004
- - Baltimore
Thats what we did

Its important to coat the sandblasted metal surface right away after this is done, like in the first hour. We used Rustoleum and its been great, but if I did it again I might try an underwater primer like Pettit Rustlok or WM Rustloc, Interlux 354 Vinyl-Lux Primewash or Pettit 6455 Metal Primer, followed by a poyurethane paint. Its extended the life of our trailer by a decade. Be prepared to do touchups with Rustlok in crevices and corners in the future.

P

Paul

sandblast

I found a sandblaster who sprayed the primer on immediatly after sandblasting, that insured no rust could get started. COst me $250.00

Jun 6, 2004
Beneteau 235 Wrightsville Beach, NC
POR-15

Can't say enough positive about POR-15. This stuff is amazing and coats like nothing you have seen. Following directions is important and use the disposable plastic gloves as well. You dont want this stuff on your skin. Some of the best stuff for rust coverage and stopping I have used. I ended up going for this on my Beneteau First 235 keel as well. The Chesapeake Bay Tanzer guys swear by it and it has done well by me so far. I would top coat it with paint of your choice. Buy the silver. A little goes a long way. kelly http://beneteau235.com

Status
Not open for further replies.