Trailer Mod Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Since only 1 photo is allowed/post, I'll do this in 2 parts. Here's details of this pic. Trailering is murder on the cb straps if cleated in up position. Didn't like full weight of uncleated cb resting on trailer crossbar (on about .5 sq in. of cb!) either. Added 2x4 as shown using existing trailer u bolt. Added carpet pad. Drill holes for inner arm of ubolt in 2x4 so it fits loose when assembled to prevent splitting. Lower cb to support and leave uncleated to trailer or store but remember to raise & cleat to launch! Also note axle position. Ideal tongue weight per trailer manual spec is 5-10% of total-about 900lb. Too light causes sway, too heavy causes cussing. When delivered mine was 160#! Felt like a real load towing and a bear to move by hand. Had to move boat back just a bit and locate axle forward (couldn't go any more) as shown to get 90lb tongue weight. That's the best I could do. Use a bathroom scale on a chair-should be about level to check. Final adjustment is to trailer tracking. Pour 2 strips of water on driveway or parking lot. Drive straight over water and see if trailer tires follow straight behind vehicle. Vehicle/trailer Rt and Left water tracks should look the same, but opposite of course. If not, loosen ubolt nuts and I just used a hammer to move one side forward /backward. Tighten, retest and readjust if needed. I'm sure different years came with different trailers. Mine was less than ideal! These mods improved trailering/handling and offered better protection to the cb in a big way! Hope some find this useful. Joe

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
2 x 4 CB support/ h170

Joe, You're CB support idea is trick. I like your idea of taking the weight off of the board uphaul line. I'm planning to replace mine this coming weekend, and it will make sense to take load off of the new one. This is another useful project to put on my list. Coming soon to this site, I'll send pics and descriptions of my fitting of front and rear reefing line cheek blocks and cleats, and a bridle/rear-sheeting setup for the mainsail. Full sails, Mike G. s/v Lil Sport -Hunter 170

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 170 -
Hey Mike!

Mike, How was the weekend? Hope it went fantastic. We had a great time doing a lot of nothing! Did get a good bit of time to float around, spent the weekend with family and friends and the Brewers blanked the Cubs last night. What more could one ask for!!! Spent some time on this site the other night trying to figure out how to post a "Photo Articles about the 170" as listed on the 170 page. Allows one to post multiple pictures in one post. The photos of the modifications to your boat would fit this great. I will try to post one with the various changes that I have made. If you have not found it yet, the "gateway" for posting is found by clicking on the "Forums" tab at the top of the page. Select "Hunter Forums" and "Photo/Project Forums" from the menu. I have seen many of these type of posts on the 260 page but could not find the link to Post a "Photo Article". It is a great place to post discussion and multiple photos at the same time. Been looking for that link for a long time now!!!!! MONTHS (seriously)!!!!!! I will collect some images and try to get them posted soon. Looking forward to seeing how your project comes out. Hey Joe, gonna use your great idea on the centerboard support. Should get it put on this week! Keep the great ideas coming!!! Godspeed, Rusty

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Reefing lines/rear-of-boom sheeting for 170

Rusty, I was thinking this weekend that my modifications to my 170 (moving the stock mid-boom sheeting aft to the boom end and installing two-line reefing hardware) would make a great photo-essay for the Forum. I will get digital photos of the changes within the next couple of weeks and post them (perhaps with your help navigating the site). Just need to pick up a new mainsheet for all that added purchase. I like the 3/8" Sta-Set I'm using right now at midboom. Full sails, Mike G. Alachua, FL s/v "Lil Sport" -h170

ChuckF

May 4, 2004
- - MA
another way

I use a 2" ratcheting strap that fits between the fore and aft bunkers on the trailer to support the centerboard. It goes around the hull without contacting the trailer anywhere.

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Hey Chuck

Tried your way but didn't work out with my trailer. Best spot for a strap was blocked after I moved axle for better tongue weight...see pic. Decided on something I wouldn't have to touch once installed. I found the trailer to boat (mis)match my worst thing about buying this new 2002 package. Just had to fix things myself! Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.