trailer mast support

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john

The very first time I tried to trailer my new (used) 170, the plastic mast support snapped. We were packing to leave on a family vacation early next morning and I was tempted to leave the boat behind, instead I fabricated a quick and dirty mast support from a scrap of 2 x 6. The original plastic one was on the road somewhere between the boat yard where I bought the thing and my house, so I didn't have any pattern to work from. My intention was to make something pretty out of cherry or walnut or something later that summer. Funny how time slips away. My mast support that was intended to get us through one vacation has held up fine for about 5 years now. I think this winter might be the time to make something prettier. I could do this cold, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or knows of a pattern or has done this themselves?? I really only saw the plastic one briefly, so I don't know how tall it was or anything else. I cut a groove for the boom to rest under the mast on my quick and dirty one, but since then I almost always transport the boom inside the minivan, I am waffling about cutting a groove for it or not. Any ideas? Also, here is a simple question, my mast is at the boat yard under 8 inches of fresh powder, the boom is in the garage . . . are they the same diamiter where they intersect the mast support - it seems to me they are. Thanks john

B

breadman

Support

i made one for mine for the same reason, If you like I can make a pattern off it and email it.

J

john

thanks all

Thanks Jerry, The pics are great, they give me an idea of how tall to go. Breadman I appreciate the offer, a pattern might be helpful if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks, John

Status
Not open for further replies.