Trailer load

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stewart

I am new to sailing and intend to buy a MAC 26X and pull it with a Toyota Camry. However my manual shows that I can only pull 2,000lbs(trailer & load)and the boat & trailer weigh around 3,000lbs. Is there any way around this? I would appreciate any input.

G

Geof

Length of trailer and other considerations

There are other issues besides the ability of the car to pull the trailer. Stopping it is one of them. Also, the length of the trailer is something else to consider. A 26 foot boat, even without the ballast, is approx 2x the length of your car, then factor in the extra distance of the trailer tongue etc. Having had a Jeep Wrangler and pulling an 18 foot trailer with a 13 foot Whaler (well below the rated trailer weight of the car) was a hairy experience when I finally realized that "odd sensation" I was experiencing was due to the fact that the trailer was about 2x the length of my car. Just a big lever back there stuck onto a bobtail car. In the case of the Mac26, if you go for it and put the 50 HP 4 stroke on the back of the boat, then you've pretty much fully loaded the back end of the lever haven't you. Other considerations - the transmission will get hot, the brakes will heat a lot, and fade as they heat up. Your rear suspension may sag and the nose of the car will lift up, this kills your traction and control of the front (driving) wheels of the car. Then again, if all you are doing is taking the boat "down the street" to launch it, the car may be fine. Oh yeah, one last consideration, the Camry is a front wheel drive car, imagine trying to get the boat out of the water, up a ramp, after the trailer wheels have dropped off the lip at the end of the ramp. I've seen more than one front wheel drive car go for a back-fender dunk when this happens. The lip acts like a giant wheel chock and the front tires just spin as the car slowly settles backwards into the water. Spend some time talking to folks who trailer boats, go down to a launch ramp and watch the activity. It can be very enlightening. Auto Warranty - check to see that happens to your warranty when you hang a trailer hitch on the car. This is a dead giveaway to the dealer when you take the car in to ask about the tranny problems. Just my $.02..... Geof s/v Day-O

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Don't do it.

Stewart - People who've been around here a while know that I have a propensity for getting all skittish when it comes to the legalities - but that just how I think. Don't pull an oversized load. Not only will you likely destroy your car, you are subject to significant legal penalty in the form of nasty ticket and you will have no insurance if you get in an accident. It really is important to stay within the constraints provided. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

F

Fred Scott

I wouldn't even try it.

Your vehicle is not heavy enough to have full control pulling a Mac 26X and not enough power to pull it up a ramp. The boat may only weigh 2500 lbs empty, but you will have add a motor plus other gear such as gas tanks, anchor, chain and most likely water in the galley & head tank. You can take out some of this stuff but some day you may not. Better to be safe and not sorry that you never got a better towing vehicle, as sailing can be fun. Fred Scott LADY Vi 96 Mac 26X

C

Chris Haraway

In case the message is not clear...

you are asking for more kinds of trouble than you could ever anticipate. Believe me, just learning to sail your new boat will be enough to occupy your efforts. You need a vehicle that is built to tow. There is no getting around this problem. The boat and car are so mismatched, that it is only a matter of time before something goes wrong. And with towing a boat that big, mistakes would be dangerous, and maybe tragic.

T

Tom Akin

This is why you don't do it ... what to do.

I pulled my trailer and boat 24 miles to get it home. My truck is rated to tow 2000#. Boat and trailer weigh 6000#. Top speed was about 37 mph. Motor overheated four times. 350 yards to stop from 37 mph. Got about 6 miles per gallon of water. Had to be in 4WD just to get it moveing. You are asking for a tragic experiance at an intersection. What to do? Rent a parking place at a marina with a boat ramp. Haul your boat there with a U-Haul of suitable capability, and leave it there. Your Camery probably will move it around the boat yard at slow speeds. It might pull up the ramp, I can't tell you for sure. Just don't try to take it on the road. Unsafe and illegal. U-Haul cost ? About $40 per day. It's worth it.

C

Chass

Towing

Interesting! I just brought my Oday 23 home from the dry dock I Was keeping it at. Have a 6 cylinder explorer. I did all the reading first, and matched all the specs up, installed the rated hitch, spent the last 4 weekends getting the trailer road worthy (new bearings, tires, lights) and finally made the trip. The dang boat is nearly twice as long as the explorer. I towed it about 180 miles down the back roads to avoid the hi speed of the hiways as it had not been run on the road yet. I was surprized! It towed great, traction was great, tracking was great. Compared to the 6x12 uhaul trailer I just utilized a few months ago. I can assure you that if you attempt anything above the limits of your car that you are tempting fate. Kind of like going out in a squall in a dinghy. I know you don't want to hear this, but by all means don't do it. Step up to a vehicle that is rated for the towing, rent a Uhaul (I really like that idea), or find a friend. I was afraid I was going to have to pay a hauling service for mine, till I read everything. A few things I'm going to do now include beefed rear suspension (sagging) and transmission cooler. I also want to modify the tongue and put an extension on it to be able to slide in and out when launching (takes a special ramp to get the old gal floating off the trailer). In closing, take most of the advice here and don't do it with the camry. Have a great day! CapnChuck

G

Geof

Long trip

Chass - Sounds like you did what I would have done. How long did it take you? Anyway, since I sold my jeep, I've been towing and launching the whaler with my little 4 cyl Caravan. I only have to go about half a mile down one street to get to the ramp, it isn't a very steep ramp and we do it at high tide, once in and once out a year. I don't drive any faster than 30 and the car seems not to notice that the trailer is there. I am VERY CAREFUL about the lip and the pot-holes at the ramp and use chocks on the wheels when I leave the car to float the boat off. I also have a come-along, chain and anchor handy should the car need some coaxing up the ramp when taking the boat out in the fall. So far, no bad experiences. About taking the long way around, I have done that with the whaler and jeep. I've avoided most of the highway miles I can. Even though the car was rated to tow something much heavier, I hate that "loss of control" feeling you can sometimes get in a crosswind. Kind of like when my 25 rounds up in a squall. I know in my mind that the boat is doing what it's supposed to do, but it's still somewhat un-nerving. Good luck with your future trailering. Geof s/v Day-O

C

Chass

Long Haul

Geof, took me about 4 hours. Normal trip is 3 hours. I stopped a few times along the way just to make sure. Average speed was 55 to 60. Had a short stint on the Interstate as well. Average speed was 65 there. The next big trip will be to Fla and on into the water from there. CapnChuck

P

Paul Reason

Camry

I hope you are on good terms with the warranty dept. at the toyota dealer. The tranny is not going to like that load, if it's an auto. The Clutch and pressure plate are going to come apart if it's a 5 speed. I am not going to say you can't do it, but long hauls and any hills will play havoc over time. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.