Trailer load

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stewart

I am new to sailing and have decided on a Mac 26x.I intended to pull it with my Toyota Camry but on checking my manual it shows that I can only pull 2,000lbs (trailer & load. Is there any way around this?I would appreciate any input.

D

dan

Don't Go THERE!

Hi Stewart I tow with a 92 Ranger 4x4. Way to small! This boat and trailer weighs in at close to 3500lb with boat stuff and gas. Not to mention your passengers and car STUFF! Towing with a car is PURE sales nonsense. You will need (to be safe/tow and STOP) at minimum a 1/2ton truck or midsize SUV. My recommondation is a vehicle with MIN 1.5x the weight of the boat/trailer and a tow rating of 3000-5000lb MINIMUM. Towing with anything less is DANGEROUS and will RUIN your vehicle. I am currently shopping for a 3/4ton truck. happy motoring....dan

J

Jerry

Only way. . .

The only way around your haves/wants is to: A. Get a much smaller boat. Open Hull with a dagger board. -or- B. Get a bigger vehicle. I used to tow our 26 swing keel with a Mazda B4000, towing Pkg (6000#). Did Ok, but cramped in truck. Now we use a Suburban. Major difference in comfort and ride. Burb controlls boat, not the tail wagging the dog. -Jerry

C

Curtiss Grant

Towing

Steward: I also would caution with towing with a mid-size car but it can be done. I also use a Ford Ranger 4X4 and consider that to be the smallest that should be considered. You have little room for error or surprises. Remember, when you pull out of the water, the boat will be 4000 to 4500 pounds unless you dump the ballast before docking, which you can do on a 26X. Depending on the ramp, that can still be a real pull at best and if a tailer wheel drops off the end of the ramp, you could have a problem. A slick steep ramp can be a challenge. It also depends on the trips you anticipate. If you are doing minimum distance on flat land, perhaps it would work. You have some great sailing over in Gulfport on east, even if that is not that far,you may find yourself making it frequently. Good Luck

M

Mike

Safety First

I agree with Dan. I have towed my 25' which weighs a little less 250 miles with a GMC Safari. While it has the power to pull it, It doesn't have the weight or stopping capability to handle the boat and trailer under emergency conditions. If you absolutly must tow with a light vehicle, reduce your speed on the highway to 55mph (the law in some states when towing a trailer) and try to drive as far ahead as possable. Leave as much room around you as you can and SLOW DOWN !!! No point in loosing the boat before you get her to the water. Happy Sailing, Mike

C

charles

Towing Vehicle

I found a 1986 F250 diesel truck for about 3500 dollars, it has the torque and power to pull my Mac 26x. A steep ramp is where you are glad you have some torque and weight. It is a big load, especially with water, gas, food, gear, and beer! Be careful with a smaller vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.