Trailer Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trish

We are having problems with the right tail lights on our trailer. My husband says that there is a dead ground short in the sockets of the lights. We have taken the lights off, but we cannot seem to get at the bulbs or sockets. They seem to be in a sealed module. It looks as though a person would have to replace the entire module with both sockets and bulbs if a the bulbs burn out or there is some other sort of a problem. Can anyone tell us if that's the case? If the clear cover over the bulbs does come off, how do you accomplish ths? Thanks.

M

Mark Alexander

Trailer Light just S*%^

I have had many different boat and cargo trailers over the years. They are just a pain and the problems with them can be plain simple or a government cover-up. Buy a new set-up and start fresh.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Depends on the design.....

There are sealed trailer lignts, and there are the so-called submersible tail lights. The "submersible" ones are just about worthless. The sealed ones are great, but you have to buy the whole assembly. If you can't find them at the marine store, try a trailer shop or truck stop. They're not expensive. Also, you might check the quality of the original wiring. Did someone simply tape the wiring connections together that lead to the lights? If there are any tape wrapped connections, check for corrosion at those points. The wiring should be waterpoof. Use "liquid tape" to seal such connections (if that's what you have) and then re-wrap them with tape.

M

Mike

Lights

A new set of trailer lights with wires and connectors are under $20. I replace mine about every 18 to 24 months and consider it a cost of my funtime on the water. They are cheap,,,just replace them and enjoy trouble free trailering. (They are cheaper than the cost of that ticket you might get, and they are a safety item also) Happy Sailing, Mike

D

dan

Yup.....they got Ya!

Hi Trish....... The trailer lights ARE a sealed unit on the 26X. Also check your sockets. They get rusted over time. Make up two 12" test wires with male and female crimp on plug ends. Plug them in and test for power with a voltmeter. Clean them up,make sure they make good pressure contact. Squeeze female plug smaller to make good contact. Put di-electric silicon goop in the plugs. Most of my problems have been in the plugs, not the EXPENSIVE lights! happy trailering........dan

Status
Not open for further replies.