Trailer for Beneteau 235

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GF

I need a trailer for a 235 with wing keel, but have had a lot of trouble finding any used sailboat trailers. Has anyone got experience with converting a power boat trailer to handle a wing keel sailboat? How would I know the ideal length power boat trailer to start with? What modifications are needed to do this? Also, has anyone got suggestions on how to find used sailboat trailers? Thanks.

D

David M. Walters

Done exactly this

I wish I could post a pic, but I don't have one of the trailer handy. Specifically I bought a 'Demo' alum. trailer that originally had been set up for highway hauling a pontoon boat. All the 3x3" alum. crossmembers aft of where the keel would be (just forward of the front axle) needed to be removed from the top of the I-beam and rebolted below. I added surge brakes, uprights and 2x6 carpeted bunks. I needed the bunks to be adjustable because the boat was 6 hours from home and I knew the measurements I got from another 235 owner, were not going to match exactly. Good thing I did, because when the boat was lowered on the trailer, the bunks were 4" too short. As far as the size of the trailer -- You can go as small as 21' overall length as long as your bow stop/winch is no more than 28" aft of the hitch. My trailer is 32'. Over kill in all ways, but I do not need a tongue extension to get the boat launched. Here's the killer, I spent $2400 total on the rig and could have had a brand new, custom made only $3,200.

Status
Not open for further replies.