Trailer Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dean L. Eiland

I recently read on the HOW about extending the trailer tong, but it was not until this past weekend that I have had a chance to put into practice the "proper extension method." To extend the trailer, first release the winch that holds your boat on the trailer. You should then be able to pull the tong out and push it in by hand. This past weekend I just unhooked the tow vehicle and sent my crew into town (they are more help there) released the winch, then pulled the tong out by hand. I have used the tow vehicle to pull the tong out and I have used hammers and other implements of destruction to get the safety pin out and into place. All that was needed was to release the winch. If you fight your trailer try this. It should not even require any lubricant. Happy Trailer Sailing Dean "Chateau du Vent"

D

dave condon

trailer extending

You have indicated realeasing the winch. Are you speaking of the bow eye winch. When extending the torailer tongue extension, you can do this without detaching the trailer. First, chock your wheels. Secondly, lower the trailer tongue jack. Third, jack up the trailer until there is no pressure of the extender on the main frame of the trailer and then pull forward with the tow vehicle.. Look at the extension tube where it slides into the main part of the trailer. You should not touch the upper portion. It is difficult to describe but you can email me at davecondon@mindspring.com and I will get more detailed information to you. Crazy Dave

S

Scott

extension not long enough? try this...

I bought some square stock 4' longer than the original and had a hitch welded on. The trailer is longer but I think it rides better. I don't have any trouble whatsoever at the ramp anymore with my fixed shoal keel.

E

Edward J. Isenberg

I own a Hunter 23 and prior to getting a docking space on Lake Belton, Texas I was into the put in - take out mode if I wanted to go sailing. The problem that I had was the ramps on the lake were long and shallow. It was even worst when the level of the lake dropped. The back of the pickup truck was half filled with water by the time I was far enought into the lake to launch the boat. In order to correct this problem I had a 20'stick with a trailer hitch welded onto end and replaced the original tounge (only for launching and retrieving). I made brackets on the trailer to carry this monster with me. I did not like the changing of the tounge for it was a two person deal to go thru the drill of the changing of the tounges. Went to a welding shop and had them make me an expanding tounge with three sections of square tubing that fit inside of each other. Made two spring loaded pins that drop into the correct holes to catch each section as they expand out. I now pull up to the ramp, take the pressure off the winch, chock the wheels and use the truck going forward very slowly until all the pins snap into place. Pick up the chocks and launch the boat. Now my rear wheels don't even get wet. Ever since I got my dock slip life has become much eaiser plus more time to sail; however, I do use the trailer to haul the boat for maintenance and to trailer to the Texas coast for salt water coastal crusing. By the way, when I go to the coast with the boat and launch there is no problems I do not have to extend the trailer tounge .

Status
Not open for further replies.