Trailer extension rusted in place

Apr 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Bay
On my trailer for my Catalina 22 is a pole that extends to allow the trailer slide back into the water further. It basically just extends the front of the trailer make backing the boat into the water easier. This piece is rusting in place. I've tried using WD-40 and a hammer but it hasn't moved. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to budge?
IMG_20220606_091704.jpg
IMG_20220606_091704.jpg
IMG_20220606_091659.jpg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I could not see if your boat is on it. How about using your tow vehicle, connect the hitch and drive back and forth small distance.

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I could not see if your boat is on it. How about using your tow vehicle, connect the hitch and drive back and forth small distance.
I used WD40 pretty aggressively, and put blocks behind the wheels and in front of the wheels with the boat on the trailer. We were parked on a small incline, though I don't know if I'd recommend that (you don't want to risk the boat rolling downhill). With the trailer hitch attached (and all chains unhooked, it pulled right out for me.

It looks like I can see a red keel on yours, so it looks like the boat is on the trailer. I'd start on a flat surface, throw it in 4-wheel drive if you have it, and give it a good soak with WD40 then gun it for a few back and forth.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
You'll get lots of recommendations - PB Blaster, heat, sledgehammer, etc. I hope one of them works for you.

Just in case they don't - I tried pretty much everything (for several seasons), and never got mine free.
I bought 2 18-inch hitch extensions (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45796-Receiver-Tube-Extender/dp/B0007M1FNM - you can get cheaper brands, but I trust Curt or Reese).

We add those two extensions on the ramp, along with a deep-drop stinger. You're not supposed to tow with 2 extensions, but 5 MPH on the ramp is pretty safe.

I add the deep-drop stinger for 2 reasons:
1) I don't want to dunk my nice Weigh-Safe ball-mount in salt water
2) On the ramp, your boat is always bow-high (even on a shallow ramp, and more so on a steep one). So the stern floats first (or last when retrieving). The limiting factor is the bow - so dropping the bow a few inches with the stinger levels the boat just a little and floats the bow more easily. You don't have to back quite so far into the water. Hope that was clear as mud...

That combination works for us - with our GMC 2500HD, we can launch and retrieve on most ramps with the tires in the water, just before the wheels would touch.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I had acprevious Catalina 22 with a rusted tongue like yors. I tried everything even chaining trailer to a pole and pulling with my truck and could not get it to move. I wound up cutting to portion that hangs out the back of the extension and used that to weld on a reciver ball mount on one end and a piece of another to make it fit in my receiver. It worked for launching and retriveiving. Of course never drive at speed with it.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to budge?View attachment 205982

I have a similar trailer and extension. It rusts easily and is a real pain. To remove it soak in lube, heat, pull, etc.. When that does not work remove the boat form the trailer. Tie a chain around the trailer and a very secure object. and pull with the vehicle until the entire tube come out. Then you can grind, paint, etc. to help it not stick again.

There are a few articles on this in the Catalina 22 Tech manual from the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association.

However even after getting it out you may find it inadequate. After beating mine out I found that it was too light for the boat. So I had a new extension made and installed under the current tongue. After more than 10,000 miles, 3-4 years, and countless lakes it still works great. I repaint it each spring and store it out of the trailer in the garage for the winter. this helps me avoid the tug a war with the trailer in the spring. Hope this helps.

Additional ideas and pictures of my setup can be found here