towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobbie

We're considering buying a Macgregor 26, but only have a 1993 4 cl. Toyota Long Bed with X-tra cab to tow it with. Is this adequate? Thanks.

B

Bill Jutz

5000 lbs tow capability

Hi, If your vehicle can handle 5000 lbs or 2.5 tons then yes it's adequate. But don't believe the sales literature. I would only tow the 26x with a Taurus if I lived less than a mile from the launch ramp. We have a GMC Rally van and it does reasonabily well, but we don't have any mountains to contend with. Bill

P

Phil Duke

Power to pull

When I got my MAC 26X I had a Broco 2 6 cyl. I pulled my new Mac from Atlanta in North Ga. to Perry,Ga. down I 75. I had to pull my Mac out of Lake Sinclair and had problems getting it out. I quickly got a Dodge 1500 V8. I think you need to have a veh. that is heavy enough to control the boat while pulling down the road and strong enough to pull up hill, engin and trans.

C

Curtiss Grant

Towing

I would be concerned about your vehicle towing a MAC 26 satisfactory for 2 reasons. First, being able to pull the boat out of the water (with the balast full) and second for safety on the freeway. I use a 4 WD Ford Ranger (mid size)with a 3.0 engine with about 150 HP. The 4 WD models are heavier and more robust. If it was not a 4 WD, I defiitely would go to a full size pickup as a previous person mentioned. Pulling the boat out of the water and up some of the ramps can be a real chore and I always kick in the 4 WD and also use the LOW range side, especially with the balast full. I still have some safety concerns in the event of something major happening on the highway. The mid range 4 WD size vehicle is just barely heavy enough. I do tow rather fast, 60 to 70 MPH range, and consequently have installed new larger and higher load rated tires on the trailer. I put on Carlisle 225/75/15 with a loaded rating of 2500 pounds per tire at a cost of about $70 each. I would hate to have a blow out or drop a wheel off on the shoulder. Additionally, when I am running out on the interstate and get passed by a big 18 wheeler, the wind from the 18 wheeler will frequently first push me away from the 18 wheeler, then as they pass, it sucks me back toward the 18 wheeler. Again, that is at the 60/70 MPH and it is not real bad but still concerning. I have not towed in big hills or in bad weather. On the road, the boat presents surprising minimal wind resistence. The bow just splits the wind. Be CERTAIN to have a HEAVY DUTY trailer hitch. I have been using the factory bumper hitch and just this week discovered the bumper was breaking. I had to leave the boat on the road while I went and had a frame mounted hitch installed. I was very lucky to have caught it in time. Trailering the boat around and sailing in different areas is a real KICK!!! NOTHING like it!! Good Luck!

N

NEWGATE13

TOWING.

READ YOUR TRUCK'S OWNER MANUAL! The 26X on it's trailer tows easily according to my friend. However he uses a 32 foot motor home to tow! The trailer must have brakes on it and the tow vehicle must be capable of towing over the road. If you only tow a short distance use your judgement and consult your insurance agent and policy company either way. Be SAFE not SORRY.

Status
Not open for further replies.