Towing weight for Ford Windstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcus

Does anyone know the overall weight of a Mac26 and it's trailer? We have a 1999 Ford Windstar which is rated to have a payload/weight rating of 3000lbs, and I'm not sure if the Mac 26 with my family in the van would exceed this. Any thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks

D

dan

Visit a Truck Scale

Hi Marcus..... The Mac 26X Manual states that the empty boat weighs 2400lbs/trailer 720lbs.Thats 3120lbs. Now add the water,gas and boat stuff.You are up to close to 3500lbs.Go to any DOT truck station and verify your towing weight. I currently tow with a Ranger 4x4. Will be switching to an F-250. Don't recommend towing the Mac 26X with anything less than a 1/2 ton truck or LARGE SUV(Suburban/Expedition)if you are on anything but FLAT GROUND! happy motoring.....dan

J

Jamie

Tow with a jeep cherokee

I have a Macgregor 26D and tow it with a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 six cylinder motor. It does a great job towing. My boat with everything I tow weighs in at 3200 lbs, my truck is rated for towing 5000 lbs. I upgraded the shocks and a some power mods but that's about it. I think the only reason that other guy is having towing problems is because it's a Ford, they don't have a good reputation when it comes to towing. I would say go with a Chevy or a Dodge instead of a Ford.

D

Dale

Towing the 26x

I have towed my 26x with a 6 cyl Ford Aerostar. It did ok however; I did not have alot of weight in the van. I pulled it about 200 miles with no problems. P.S. It did not like overdrive.

M

Mike

The quick answer tow at 1/2 the tow capacity

Yes, you will get there, how many times? Who knows. The best rule of thumb is only tow at about half your tow capacity (5000 lb towing capacity = tow something 2000-3000 lbs safely) and you will be safe and able to handle things when you run into a situation out of the normal - rain, ice, fog, deer runs in front of you, flat tire, slippery boat ramp, trailer wheel falls off the edge of the ramp, ect, ect... There is way more to towing than the brand of the vehicle doing the towing.

J

Jamie

Towing vehicle brands

Obviously there is a lot more than the brand of the vehicle. I just feel quite strongly that some companys built purposeful vehicles which are capable of towing. Ford is definitely not one of these vehicles and a minivan is certainly not a very strong tow vehicle regardless of the manufacturer. I prefer towing in a Jeep or A GM because they have engines, chasises, and suspension that are built strong and are intended to tow up to their limit. I have towed the same 10,000 lb. trailer with a ford 2500 diesel and a GM 2500 diesel and there is no comparison. The GM feels very solid while towing, the ford feels loose and sloppy as if something is waiting to break. Best of luck to you with towing with a Ford, I am sure you can replace a few parts to inprove the quality of towing on it. I am just saying in a perfect world I would not choose to tow with a Ford.

J

Jim

Ford Windstar Towing Weight

Marcus, Maybe this will help. Mac 26X - empty 2250 lbs. Trailer - 710 lbs.(Without Surge Brakes) 720 lbs.(With Surge Brakes) Outboard Engine - Depends on size. 50HP 4 stroke Approximately 200 lbs. Take in account, weight of fuel, and water you may carry, as well as gear, and any other things that will add to that. Depending on Model of Windstar, Curb weight can range from 3546 up to 4270 lbs. I am assuming that you have the 3.8 litre V6. It is rated at 200 HP and torque at 240 foot lbs. with the four speed automatic overdrive. Except for the Basic and Cargo models (rated lower in towing capacity) all others in the Windstar class are rated at 3500 lbs.. Maximum towing capacity. Check your owners manual, and it will tell you that towing while in overdrive is not recommended. There is more torque available (power), out of overdrive. There should be a button on the end of the gearshift lever, push in and a light should come on telling you that the vehicle is out of overdrive. Overdrive is designed for less wear and tear on the engine and drivetrain, as well as fuel economy, since the engine turns over more slowly in overdrive. While your vehicle may pull the Mac 26X okay, in the long run a standard size truck is much better suited for this chore. I have towed my Mac 26X with a 1986 Chev Van with the 4.3 litre V6 engine, and it did okay. Just a little slow on hills. I had a 95 Ford XL 4X4 Super Cab with a 5.0 V8, but it didn't pull as well, and consumed twice the amount of fuel in the process. I traded it off for a 2001 Chev Silverado with the 4.8 litre V8 rated at 270HP. It does a much better job, and isn't as hungry for fuel. Fair winds, and smooth sailing.

F

Francis

Towing

I tow my 26X with a Nissan Stanza. It does pretty good. I towed it from Calif. to NM. It did real good, but on some big hills it does slow down a little. I do pull it to lakes that are a couple of hundred miles away as well round trip. It does the job pretty good.In Sept I plan on taking it to lake powell and the next year back to Calif.After that to the Sea of Cortiz.I do try to plan my routes though for crossing as few mountains as I can though just to help out the van.I have pulled this boat loaded down with supplies and 5 people in the van. It did very good. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.