Towing options

Jun 5, 2023
none n/a san francisco
Advice please on towing. We are at our home marina with a 45 sailboat and the rudder bolts are leaky. We need to take the boat 20 miles away to our boat yard for repairs. We don't feel comfortable taking it there due to increase in problems that may arise on the way (and we are newbies).

Get it towed from dock to dock ? Pay out of pocket? We have progressive slide and glide (useless) and BoatUS (basic, it won't tow if we upgrade to gold due to "pre-existing condition").

Any suggestions? There is no other boatyard closer. We are in the california sac River delta.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Need more info on the type of boat. Do you mean 45 foot saiboat? If so it is likely that it's problem can be fixed while in the slip. Or it can be remedied enough that you can engine to boatyard. Can you get an experienced neighbor to go with you? Can it be towed?
Photos of the problem might help suggest a solution.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the "rudder bolts" are at the top of the rudder post, it is likely a stuffing box for the rudder. Where is the leak? is from under the bronze fitting? Is it around the shaft where it leaves the rudder tube?

Type of boat and a couple of good high quality photos of the area are essential for us to give good advice.

It is unlikely that towing the boat will be less risky than motoring it in relatively benign conditions. Even when towing there will need to be someone at the helm steering the boat.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
As dlochner suggests, could this be a problem with the rudder's stuffing box? We had a leak there in our J/36 because the packing had worn out/dried out. It only leaked when the boat surfed down a wave and water came up above the waterline aft. Quite a gusher at 8 knots, however. We managed to get back to port (about 10 miles) by putting weight forward to lift the stern out of the water and slowing down, manning the pump if needed. If this is your problem it may work for you too.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
As was said, boat data and pictures are your best friend…… I am a little puzzled about rudder bolts myself as I dont have any on the rudder interior components that would cause a leak. Or are you referring to the strut bolts.

Greg

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
If your bilge pump is keeping up with the leakage pier side or at anchor, why would it not keep up under tow?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I doubt that any towing insurance would cover (pay for) taking a boat from a safe slip, the home slip, to a boat yard for repair, unless, perhaps, it was in danger of sinking. The sailboat is not disabled, etc. There is very little risk of loss in the slip so no need to request assistance (towing), etc.

Also, l don’t what you mean by rudder bolts. Yes, we need a picture.

Last edited:

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
For what it's worth: The Boat US saltwater unlimited gold membership does pay for dock to dock tow for repairs. However, You just can't just sign up and they will tow you, I think you have to wait 45 or 60 days but if you had time to wait it could save you a bundle.