Towing Hunter 25

Apr 27, 2020
Hunter 25 Dillon
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes:
I am looking at purchasing a 1983 Hunter 25 (my first boat). It comes with a nice roller trailer and I have a full sized truck capable of towing it. It is the fin keel model. It is not something I would tow regularly but I would be interested in towing it to places like Lake Powell, Havasu, or Meade (3-7 hours away). I live in western Colorado.
My question is a little general but I am a little concerned about what it's like to tow a boat that doesn't have some type of retractable keel. Does a boat like this that sits high on the trailer get blown around a lot? Are they difficult to tow?
Thanks in advance for any input.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If the trailer is setup to handle the boat then it shouldn't be a problem. If you do get into a serious wind storm, then I would stop and wait out the storm. I haven't towed the boat you are taking about but have towed a number of other boats. Yes, if you have a lot of crosswind you can feel it, but if the trailer is built correctly for the boat then unless you have a string winds, you probably won't even notice it.

I would look carefully at how the boat is tied down onto the trailer. Without seeing your boat and trailer, not much more I can say. My father once dropped a boat we were trailering off the trailer while driving down the interstate. We did not have it tied down on the trailer.

dj

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
You didn't mention whether or not its double axle that helps take it slow and you'll get good at it Also for raising mast if u can find a launch ramp with lots of big trees along road dont be scared to put a line and pulley high up on tree to aid in mast stepping

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes:
I am looking at purchasing a 1983 Hunter 25 (my first boat). It comes with a nice roller trailer and I have a full sized truck capable of towing it. It is the fin keel model. It is not something I would tow regularly but I would be interested in towing it to places like Lake Powell, Havasu, or Meade (3-7 hours away). I live in western Colorado.
My question is a little general but I am a little concerned about what it's like to tow a boat that doesn't have some type of retractable keel. Does a boat like this that sits high on the trailer get blown around a lot? Are they difficult to tow?
Thanks in advance for any input.
I used to own a C&C 24 that was somewhat similar to your boat, fixed keel, 4 ft draft etc.

I mounted the cradle that came with the boat on a heavy duty dual axle trailer so that I could eliminate yard storage fees, I always had a boat yard lift the boat on/off the trailer. I towed the boat on flat secondary roads (max speed 50 mph) with a vehicle that exceeded the required towing capacity. I also grew up farming and using heavy equipment so have quite a bit of experience towing heavy loads.

I can definitively say that wind will play a factor in the stability of the ride. Even at 50mph I felt that I was pushing things a bit as it’s a high, heavy load.

The other issue is has the current owner launched the boat from the trailer and are you sure there is a suitable boat ramp at your destination?

Apr 27, 2020
Hunter 25 Dillon
Thanks for all the replies! That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

It is a dual axle trailer that appears very solid and well built.

The woman who owns the boat currently has said she has no trouble launching from the ramp at lake Dillon.

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 1986 Lake Lanier, GA
I have the same boat. I've towed it with my 4.6 liter Ford F 150 with no trouble. Can't even imagine using a bunk trailer with this boat or launching it at a ramp. Needs to be lifted on and off the trailer. Good luck.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Just watch the clearance on any bridges you'll have to go under. Don't know what your height will be but it can be an issue. There was a bridge over a major freeway here that got hit by trucks like five times in the last couple years until they finally tore it down and rebuilt. It was only a few inches lower than all the rest but that's all it took. Bridges on the side roads to get you to the water could be lower than standard.