Towing and launching the Capri 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryan Doggett

Dear Capri 18 owners, I am interested in buying a Capri 18. Two concerns I have are towing and launching as the boat would be kept at home. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4. Any towing experiences owners could share including type of towing vehicle, handling and braking characteristics while in tow, and whether or not serge brakes are used would be appreciated. Also, any helpful info about launching such as recommendations on trailer extensions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ryan

E

Erik

Towing the C-18

I routinely tow my C-18 with a 1976 International Scout II that has a 100 in. wheelbase. I haven't weighed my boat and trailer, but estimate it to be at least 2500 lbs, maybe a few 100 lbs more. Your vehicle should have at least a 3500 lb towing capacity; maybe even 5000 lbs, if it's a newer Tacoma. The trailer has aftermarket electric brakes on it, which I find to be better than surge brakes. The trailer is a Trail-Rite brand, which is the stock C-18 trailer that Catalina uses. It has a built-in 5 1/2 ft extending tongue. I can easily launch and recover the boat by myself. Check out the C-18 Nat'l Assn website at <www.catalina18.net>. E-mail me at <esvanr@firedept.net> for some more info on trailering and setup.

E

Ed

Owners manual for towing capacity

Check your vehicle's owners manual which should have a section on towing and towing capacity. Take the displacement of the boat and add between 200 and 400 lbs for the trailer to see how much you're pulling. Another test is to take it for a test tow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.