Towing a wooden dinghy

Jun 16, 2020
Hinckley Sou’wester 30 Falmouth ME
I have a new wooden dinghy. I am interested to know how you would attach a towing bridle to it. My previous inflatable had the bow ring and two D-rings for the bridle. As you can see from the picture, this dinghy only has an eyebolt right now. Although it probably has more longitudinal stability than the inflatable did, I suspect it would still be good to have a three point connection to minimize the yaw as she gets towed. Where would I attach the outboard connections?

I don’t intend to do anything other than coastal trips here in Maine. Welcome your advice.

7B185E22-9DF7-4B04-8AD4-F5BBBD474E71.jpeg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have a new wooden dinghy. I am interested to know how you would attach a towing bridle to it. My previous inflatable had the bow ring and two D-rings for the bridle. As you can see from the picture, this dinghy only has an eyebolt right now. Although it probably has more longitudinal stability than the inflatable did, I suspect it would still be good to have a three point connection to minimize the yaw as she gets towed. Where would I attach the outboard connections?

I don’t intend to do anything other than coastal trips here in Maine. Welcome your advice.

View attachment 193888
She is a beauty! An eyebolt on the stem should suffice for towing. My brother in law tows a Dhow dinghy with his trawler, and it tracks nicely using only the eyebolt.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
that is not an eye-bolt. is that a lag-style hook? is it through bolted?

you will slurp in 500lbs of water now and then, multiple points of reinforced through bolted eye bolts would be nice but self bailing is a must for me.

......... but that's me

Jun 16, 2020
Jon - that is a lag bolt in there right now from the previous owner, but it has a bronze through-bolt that should go there (I need to determine why It was taken out). Am I to read from your reply that I should be ok with just the single attachment?

Good point about the self-bailing. I don’t believe it does. Is that something I could install?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That temporary screw eye is about the right place for a proper towing attachment: low so the bow rides a little high.

It has to be through bolted with a good backing plate. Some tenders have use a an eye strap, 2 bolts, with a captive stout ring.

Lawley tender.jpg

Old dinghy.jpg

Jun 16, 2020
Thanks Tom. I love your pictures - especially when you are explaining something!!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
that's one beautiful lawley tender. i envy the floorboards, and wish i had them on my eastport pram by chesapeake light craft.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Tom, in all the years of towing, have you ever taken on blew water in your dingy?

i have towed my 10' inflatable, floor too, all over the place. 99.7% for the good. it's dorky, it works for me.
i'm used to it. will bring the bow up to the taff rail in a squall. if i know it will be heavy weather (which i like) i'll deflate and tie on the bow. i do sail with a crew. putting it on the bow is quick and easy.

but your woody, does it just bob thru everything?