Torn between a MacGregor 26' and the Seaward 26', please help me decide

Jul 12, 2010
Catalina Skiff Deale, MD
I am looking to purchase a used MacGregor 26' or a used Hake Seaward 26RK. I like the MacGregor for it's light weight and friendly trailer handling but I like the Hake for the build quality. I live two hours from the Chesapeake Bay and I want to be able to trailer the boat home during the winter months. I'd also like to explore some of the lakes in Virginia and out west, maybe even the Florida Keys. The price does matter but I'd rather have the best boat with fewer surprises. I sold my 36' Hunter last year and I am dying to get back on the water. I don't want to spend a fortune on slip fees and winter storage. Which boat do you suggest? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Are you really up in the air about this? The Seaward is such a better boat, in every possible way. I know Mac have their legitimate attractions but this is one comparison that they lose on all counts. Get the 26RK.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Looked long and hard at a Mac26M as my first boat. The idea of motoring or sailing sort of intrigued me. Went for a sail on a guy's Mac26X on Lake Michigan. Learned a few things that day:
1) Mac 26X and M are not great at sailing or motoring. Water ballasted, light build.
2) For me, trailer in was not something I wanted to do, and decided that day to buy a bigger boat, and dedicate the budget to keep her in a slip. No way was I going to step/unstep the mast every time I wanted to sail.

I ended up with a Hunter 280 that was so much more boat than the Mac26. Great first boat, big enough to survive on Lake Michigan, sailed pretty damn good, decent cabin with head.

Not sure your circumstances and why you want a trailerable boat, but if that is the way you are going to go, you need to consider these trade offs:
1) Mac will certainly be lighter weight and easier to pull...what is your tow vehicle?
2) Seaward is certainly a heavier, sturdier built boat, but may be harder to trailer (or you may need a Nifty 250 to pull it).
3) are you going to spend nights on the boat? Mac interior is small, no real head, no real galley. I think I have seen a Seaward at the boat show...recall it is reasonably equipped interior.

If you have not sailed both, and spent a little time on each, I think you need to do that. I learned a lot from my 1-day sail on the Mac, and not looked back since. But only you know what you want out of the boat, and how you are going to use it.

Greg

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
You mentioned a Mac-26 but what many people don't realize is that it makes a BIG difference in which model you're considering. You can read about the differences here: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/26c-s-d-whats-the-difference.103649/ . I really like my 26D. It can't support the big outboards like the X and M but it sails really well. Although it's true it doesn't have a full head or galley it's great for a weekend.

Jan 7, 2011
I agree, my comments were specific to the Mac 26x and 26M. I have never sailed any of the earlier Mac 26 series boats.

I understand they sail pretty good, but I imagine the cabins are small and sparse.

Greg

Jul 12, 2010
Catalina Skiff Deale, MD
Wow, all your responses are great, I really appreciate the help. I agree that the Hake 26RK is a much better boat as far as build goes but more to effort to launch. I am traveling tomorrow to Deltaville to inspect a Mac(?) that is in pretty good shape but I was't aware of the different models. I really need to get on board each one and do same sailing as suggested. As far as use goes I want to visit all those bays and shallow areas in the Chesapeake Bay that I missed in my 36' Hunter. I like to sail, fish and take grandchildren along and I would spend the weekend or longer if possible. I would also consider taking it to the keys or out west. I own a Ford F-350 so towing is not a problem. I also like the idea of bringing it home to service where I can store it for free and take my time at doing all the work that needs to be done on a boat. I am leaning toward the Hake because I long for a good, solid boat I can trust in rough water and own for the rest of my retirement. Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well... there's also the Catalina 25. or 250... Not a fan of the Mac 26x or 26m.... If you're a sailor you won't be happy with them... The 26d and 26s are pretty good little boats... but have limited amenities. I think the Seaward is a no brainer... spend an extra 1/2 hour setting up.... what's the hurry?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Are you really up in the air about this? The Seaward is such a better boat, in every possible way. I know Mac have their legitimate attractions but this is one comparison that they lose on all counts. Get the 26RK.
+1 There is no comparison. If I had the money at the time, I would have bought a Seaward instead of the Mac. The Mac is easier to trailer. The Seaward is a gunkholer. Nice way to explore shallows.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I agree, but with some reservation...
the seaward is by far the better boat, but as we travel a lot with our mac25 I understand the indecision.
when one is doing a lot of traveling and wants to go light and fast, yet stop for a few days here and there to use the boat, an older mac 26 will fit the need better as it sets up easier and faster. BUT.. if it was a choice between a mac 26x/m, I would take the seaward every time.....
because if i wanted a powerboat, I would buy a power boat and do away with any rigging and de-rigging....

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
spend an extra 1/2 hour setting up.... what's the hurry?
If you go for a weekend or longer it's no big deal. If you only have an afternoon to sail that extra 30 minutes of setting-up makes a difference.

Jan 7, 2011
If you go for a weekend or longer it's no big deal. If you only have an afternoon to sail that extra 30 minutes of setting-up makes a difference.
plus he time to retrieve the boat and take things apart. When I did my test sail on the Mac 26x, the owner trailered to the boat ramp. It took us at least 30 minutes to rig the boat and launch. Retrieving the boat and getting her ready to trailer home took another hour. Made the decision that day that I would keep my boat in a slip.

Greg

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Even if it is a 26S, I would not consider it. I've sailed on one once, and it seemed very slow. The rudder is too short and comes out of the water prematurely when you get blown over. Always remember that water ballast has reasonable initial stability, but there is little increase in righting moment as the boat heels. Putting the ballast in a bulb at the bottom of the keel means the righting moment increases significantly as the boat heels. There should be no question of the difference in sailing qualities between the two boats.

Are you buying the boat to trailer it or buying to to sail?

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
IMHO,
The M is the best motorsailor built. - its now out of production. best choice if you trailer each time you sail. doesn't go to weather great. sails ok. really needs a 70 hp- 90 hp to get up and go..

Seaward is superior if you only launch a few times a year. better build, much better boat. with a F350 the bigger boat is no issue. my choice if you get a slip for the season. (not that much bigger cabin feel).
Also consider the hunter h260 very nice boat, similar to seaward. in launch and build quality. waterballast

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Watersdale;
You may want to consider the Hunter 260 which is a water ballast and trailerable as well. I use to be a dealer for many to include Beneteau, Catalina, Precsion, Hunter , Macgregor and others. I am well versed on small boats particularliy on trailerability. One question you answered was trailering and with that there are many things to look at which is total weight to tow although that is not an issue with you, mast raising as there are some lakes without equipment to help you raise and lower a mast, ease of raising the mast or time it takes, room, ease of getting on and off the trailer and the list goes on. Many will remember me here in Virginia and if you need help or advice about Smith Mt. Lake, Claytor Lake, S. Holston, Watagua, and further south, I can help you on information. I live near Roanoke but understand I am retired and it was my policy to always point out the good things of boats regardless which my customers appreciated..

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I would suggest that depending on your creative mechanical aptitude, mast raising can be simplified and overcome. Its something you work through in your driveway, while making 2 or 3 trips to the local hardware store. The trick is to minimize the number of steps. Spend the money on quick disconnects, make sure they are rated well in excess of the intended load. My boat had no mast raising system. The mast is 27 ft and much heavier than spec for the boat. My mast is up in less than 10 minutes from the time I pull into the parking lot. Everything is planned, and happens in a specific sequence. You can always modify the factory system to simplify it. Figure out what is taking too much time and fix it. Reduce the number of steps.
I've seen some pretty crazy factory setups with loops and cables going all kinds of different ways, most of it looks as if it was created by Rube Goldberg.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I'm a Mac 26 classic owner who's considering upgrading to a Seaward 26RK. Here's my perspective.

First, we`ve decided that trailerability is a non-negotiable feature, for us. Since you've already narrowed your choices to two trailerable boats I'll assume that's the same for you, and I won't bother to explain the many reasons I prefer a trailerable boat. Also, I`m assuming you`re thinking of a classic Mac 26, like mine, not one of the newer powersailors. Most of what I have to say about my Mac is probably true of the powersailors, too, but I have no experience with them.

What we love about our Mac is that it's very affordable. We paid CDN 9,500 (~USD 7,200) for a boat in like-new condition that does everything we need. It's easy to maintain, easy to tow, easy to launch and recover, sails decently, and has (just) enough accommodation for the two of us to be comfortable on multi-day trips. However, the accommodations are spartan. The "galley" is a swing out table with a propane camp stove strapped to it. The head is a porta potty (though enclosed). Water is a jug and a pump. So, basically, it's camping on the water. Don't get me wrong, we love it. But we plan to take longer trips in a few years, when I retire, and the Mac won't cut it for that kind of thing. Also, the Mac was definitely built to hit a low price point, with very ordinary hardware and minimal equipment. As an engineer, I appreciate that. If you can`t make money with your design then you`re not really doing engineering, and the Mac has served our purpose perfectly, up to this point, at very low cost. But, now that we`re more committed to the sailing life, we want something better.

So, our requirements for a future boat are that it must be nearly as easy to tow, launch, and recover as the Mac but it must also have standing headroom, a proper head with shower, something resembling a proper galley, and a reasonable anchor system. That's a very narrow field. I've considered quasi-trailerable boats such as the Nor`Sea 27. There are some great boats in that category (the Nor'Sea being, perhaps, the best), but they're probably not sufficiently trailerable for our needs. I`ve also looked at some of the more direct competitors to the Mac, such as the Hunter 260 or the water-ballast Catalina 250. Those are both good boats, but not enough of a step up from the Mac to be worth changing. So far I've only found three boats that meet all our requirements: the Seaward 26RK, the TES Magnum 28, and the TES 246 Versus. At the moment, the TESs haven`t been on the market long enough for used ones to be in our price range. So the Seaward is our leading contender.

I`m still early in the research phase but I haven`t yet found anything that would rule out the Seaward. It`s at the high end of our price range, but it ticks all the boxes. They`re reputed to have good handling qualities, and even pretty good speed for a 26-footer. Builder reputation is excellent. But there`s not a lot of information out there other than the company`s own marketing material, so I`m treating all that as tentative, for now.

So, it comes down to how much boat you want and what you`re willing to spend. If you`re prepared to lay out the money for a Seaward I don`t think you`ll find a better, truly trailerable boat. But if, like us, you`re a bit tentative about jumping in that deep right at the start, the Mac is a great choice to get you into the sailing life for not a lot of money.

(PS: I didn`t notice how old this post was before I replied! But I hope my comment will be useful to someone, anyway.)

Last edited: