Topsides prep for repainting

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Thor

I'm preping my hull for a long overdue repainting. The previous owner put a product called Nu Glass over the original paint. I've cleaned the hull with soap and Bleach, acetone and Interlux's de-waxing solvent #202. I have been unable to remove the Nu Glass coating. I don't want to start sanding until this is removed. Any suggestions?

B

Barry

Acrylic Removal

That stuff is an acrylic coating like Vertglas. I've used three different brands of that stuff on my boat. I think Vertglas and Polyglow sell cleaners that remove the stuff. With limited success I have used ammonia and some industrial strength acrylic floor wax remover with a lot of effort to scrub the stuff off. I have found Vertglas to yellow after 3 years and stripped my hull using this method and 600 grit sandpaper. haven't found a simple easy way to strip that stuff yet. Barry

J

Jack Gilmour

Alcohol

We used Nu Glass on our prior boat and decided to return to waxing. We removed the Nu Glass with plenty of alcohol and plenty of rags. One person scrubbing and another following immediately behind wiping off seemed to work the best. As the alcohol evaporates, the Nu Glass re-hardens.

J

Jim Hague

Jack

What kind of alcohol did you use: Methyl? Ethyl? Iso-Propyl?

J

Jim WIllis

Try IG Cleanser or Cleanser/Conditioner

I did experiments some years ago with poliglow. You can use our cleansers (the Cleanser/Conditioners are more powerful. These are slow to evaporate and can be inactivated with water. Also removes oxidation. If you want to try some (freebee!) samples contact me at www.IslandGirlProducts.com. It is worth it for me to get the confirmation that I can then use in my technical info. We also have a New sealant (MIRROR HARD SUperglaze) that has quite a bit of solvent activity and might work too. It defiately removes paint or wax oxidation. Thanks Jim W

Status
Not open for further replies.