Topping Lift

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
Hello everyone!
How close to the top of the mast and on which side should I place the cheek block when installing a topping mast?

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Ideally terminate the topping lift below the backstay and above the main halyard. If it has to go tone side, it doesn't matter which. Usually the block is at the end of the boom, so the topping lift terminates forward on the boom where it is easy to adjust.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
As high under the backstay as possible and over the main halyard. You want to minimize interference with the main when tacking or gybing.

May 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Barnegat Bay, LBI
I have a related question about how to handle the well-known issue of the boom coming down into the boat when you release the mainsail halyard (a ‘68 Javelin). I’ve made a lot of changes in my boat since last posting on the forums to make her much easier to single-hand when my first mate (aka better half) doesn’t want to sail. But the boom issue still bothers me - especially because I need to motor in/out. When it’s time to come in, I have to hold the boom up in my hand with the tiller tucked under my arm or in my elbow crook while I release the halyard and then ease the boom down. Sure would be easier to do: topping lift, boom kicker, some sort of boom crutch that still allows me to steer and motor in, or something else? Any tips would be appreciated.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I have a related question about how to handle the well-known issue of the boom coming down into the boat when you release the mainsail halyard (a ‘68 Javelin).
I used to just shift the main or jib halyard to be a temporary topping lift. You could easily rig a topping lift by attaching another line to the mast. Secured at the mast for sailing, and tied to the boom when needed as a topping lift.

May 18, 2021
Thanks JBP-PA! I guess I didn’t specify that I’m trying to do things in a way that avoids having to be moving from the mast back to the end of the boom while still holding the tiller and keeping an eye out for other boats. Did you ever try an option like running something from the top of the mast back to the end of the boom loosened for sailing and then tightened up before releasing the halyard? Someone suggested that and I am wondering whether a line like that stays clear of the shrouds while sailing.

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
If you buy the kit there is a cheek block that you install near the top of the mast. If I understand your concern correctly. The line runs up the mast and down to the aft end of the boom. You don't have to think about it after that. The line runs parallel to the leech end of the sail. It doesn't interfere with the shrouds.

May 18, 2021
Ah - got it. Thanks. I take it Rudy sells it? (Who else, right?). Do you have loosen it at the boom end for sailing?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You can rig a topping lift so that it adjusts at the boom end or from the base of the mast like a halyard. I suppose you could do both if you want. For a boom end adjustment, the usual way is a block at the end of your typing lift well above the boom. A line from the end of the boom goes through the block and back to the boom and secured in a jam cleat or whatever.
The typical halyard type goes through a block at the top of the mast and back down the mast to a jam cleat or whatever.

In use, it is left slightly loose. When you drop the main, the boom only drops a bit before the topping lift catches it. You can then adjust the topping lift as desired.