Topping Lift - restoring missing rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Wiltsie

I have "acquired" a Capri 22 from a client as part payment on a bill. It is a 1985 with the racing package. Unfortunately, given the succession of prior owners, by the time I got after it had been sitting in storage for a couple of years, getting all of the rigging correctly set up on it has been a bit of a challenge. While the original owner's manual was still with the boat, it says nothing about a topping lift. On the other hand, when I stand in the cockpit looking at the labels for the controls, one is clearly marked topping lift. I think it is on the starboard side next to the one for the main halyard. Anyone know what how it is supposed to be rigged? The boat seems to sail fine without it as long as one person holds up the boom while we raise the mainsail until it supports itself. Then again what do I know??? This is my first sailboat . . . . . Just to add to the confusion, a couple of slips down at the marina are a set of Catalina 22's, one with a topping lift and one without . . . . . So much for trying to use them as an example . . . Thanks for any advice.

W

Wayne Mathews

Capri 22 topping lift

A topping lift was not part of the standard rigging in 1985. On our boat the boom is supported by a 1/16" wire cable from the backstay to the boom, with a snap shackle at the boom end.

E

Ernie

Topping lift

George, I'll presume you do not have your boat masted...in which case look for a block at the masthead which will be (should be) located aft of the main halyard block. The assumption here also is that the topping lift was/is adjustable and cleated at the mast...some prefer to adjust the topping lift under the boom and consequently have a bitter end of the topping lift knotted at the masthead. You're absoutley correct in that the boat sails fine without the topping lift...the purpose of the topping lift is just as you described - to support the boom (so it dosen't crash about the cockpit) while bending on the mainsail. What Wayne described is the standard FACTORY backstay support for the boom when on a mooring or tied at the slip. In any case, you decide what kind of topping lift you prefer. Hope this helps.

G

George Wiltsie

Thanks - "Spinnaker Topping Lift?"

Thanks for the help! I found a reference to a topping lift in a spot I had not looked at before for the Capri 22, and found that they gave a length for "optional" replacement rigging for a "spinnaker topping lift", right next to the specification for the "spinnaker foreguy". Since the controls are arrayed left to right on the right side of the cockpit as "Main Halyard" - "Topping Lift" - "Foreguy" I am left to conclude that it is probably the spinnaker topping lift that the control is for. Since the boat didn't come with a spinnaker sail, I guess I can safely stop wondering about the topping lift for a while. . . . . . I'll start thinking about a spinnaker after I have learned to properly use the rest of the sails that came with the boat. Since I have yet to ever use the genoa, and just recently got a set of cars for the jib tracks, let alone figured out exactly what the additional aluminum pole/boom that is stored away below is really for other than it used with the genoa, I think the spinnaker stuff can wait another summer or two (or three . . . ) before I make any attempts to master that. I will have to admit, there are times with this boat that I wonder and feel its a little like the equivalent of trying to learn to drive for the first time with a sports car. . . . . Thanks for the help. George

E

Erik

Consider a Boomkicker?

I have a Capri 18. The backstay pendant is ok in supporting the boom while the sail is down, but during reefing or raising the sail in a stiff breeze, you need something different to keep the boom up. I'm considering a Boomkicker. It's a fiberglass spring-thing that fits in the triangle between the boom, mast, and boom vang. Check out www.boomkicker.com for more details.

M

Mark

Boomkicker Works Well

We have been sailing our Capri 22 for 4 years now and it was purchased second hand already equipped with the Boom Kicker, and a 4 to 1 vang. I didn't understand just how valuable the BoomKicker device was untill I began crewing on J-24s, and Olson 25s and 30s. What a difference the BoomKicker makes for family daysailing, Downwind sail shape, and even keeping a crowded cockpit clear of the boom hazard with a racing crew onboard. I highly recommend a small Boom Kicker in place of the topping lift: it dose not interfere with main sail tacking and gybing movement, it is simple, robust and built to last. Mine is 6 or 7 years old. One other thing, Boom Kicker is a bargin compared to the alternatives, and they offer excellent customer suport. When I lost the mast attachment adapter about 2 years ago while trailering, BoomKicker mailed out a replacement ASAP at no cost!

J

john sillers

topping lift

The line called a topping lift is the spinaker pole lift.The capri manual calls it the spinaker topping lift as well as a pole lift which is correct. The pole if not adjustable is the spinaker pole which can be used as a whisker pole with the 155. The topping lift is used to support the boom when the main is down as well as when reefing. There should be a wire pendant attached to the back stay that functions as the main topping lift. best, john s.

Status
Not open for further replies.