Topping lift question.

Jul 20, 2020
Catalina C-30 Noank
I recently upgraded from a Catalina 27 to a Catalina 30. The topping lift on the 27 (lizard tail) was a cable attached to the back stay that once the mainsail was hoisted you unclip so the boom could move freely. My question is on the Catalina 30 the topping lift is connected directly
to the mast with a cable/block then a line and jaw block connected to the end of the boom. I'm assuming once the mainsail is raised the
topping lift stays connected to the boom? When we did the sea trial and the mainsail was hoisted I did not see the topping lift removed and connected to a stanchion etc.

Thank you !

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If the topping lift doesn't ease up with the maintain raised, you may have to do it at the cleat.

Jul 20, 2020
Catalina C-30 Noank
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain a little more. Are you saying once the mainsail is hoisted the topping lift stays attached to the boom put there should be a little slack, no tension on it?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain a little more. Are you saying once the mainsail is hoisted the topping lift stays attached to the boom put there should be a little slack, no tension on it?
Exactly.:thumbup:

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I used to remove the topping lift once the main was hoisted so it didn't flog around and screw up my leech telltales. My new boat is easier since I use the main halyard for the topping lift once the main is dropped so it is automatically out of the way as you hoist.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Your "topping lift" on the C27 was NOT what you thought.... it was just a pig tail for keeping the stored mast off the cabin roof when the sail is down. You would never use it for sailing. On your Catalina 30, you have a true mainsail topping lift... and it is adjustable. Its purpose is to support the boom in any position when hoisting and lowering the main. It is especially handy at keeping the boom from weighting down the mainsail when the air is too light for that sail to carry it. It can be used in conjunction with the vang to stabilize the boom in bouncy conditions. However, 95% of the time you're sailing it will figure very little into you mainsail trim package.
If you have a larger roach on your main, like many sailors prefer, the battens can get hung up on the backstay and the topping lift... thus once the sail is hoisted it is common to reach up and give a little slack to the TL to lessen its irritating behavior.
Years ago, I upgraded my mainsail to a larger roach version, which allowed me to sail more with the 110% jib up. A rig configuration I preferred when single handing. Anyway... it didn't take long before I was fed up with the slapping, batten grabbing, useless topping lift... so I quickly installed a Garhaurer rigid vang, which eliminated the need for a topping lift altogether. BEST money I ever spend. A rigid vang, along with an autopilot, are truly a sailors gift from the gods. Have fun.