Tool suggestion for grinding deep bilge areas.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Im getting ready to haul out in a few weeks and drop keel and install some good backing plates. In preparation for new backing plates i need to be able to grind out a bunch of the old crush filler they added in the bilge around the bolts. My bilge is a bout a foot deep and about six or so inches wide, but there are areas in the aft end of bilge that tapper to only about 1.5" wide that would need to be cleaned up as well (see pic). I need to get down about 1/4" or so into this substrate, so it need to be fairly aggressive ground out. An angle grinder is simply too wide to get to most of the areas. Whatever i use must be fairly narrow. As of right now. the only tool i can think of that will be able to work is one of these minus the handle.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tool or attachment that might work better/faster? I would like the final surface to be relatively flat so i can properly bed under the stainless backing plates with epoxy and finally sika flex.

Attachments

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Have you thought of using a series of different width Forstner Bits. You only want to go a 1/4” deep, they drill a round flat bottom hole. You control the depth. They’re used in cabinet making to inset hinges to a certain depth. You would need a set of carbide tip bits, which should be available.
Just a thought you might want to look into.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Are you dropping the keel just for backing plates and are you sure that's necessary? I don't see anything concerning in your picture.