Too much prop walk? Please read this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charles Duhon

Our '83 Hunter 34 had the wrong pitch propeller and terrible prop walk! But not anymore! We increased the pitch from 12" to 14" and what a difference, 5 knots at only 1300 rpm !!! the boat stops in reverse much better. As for the prop walk, well it really backs up straight as an arrow without having to use the rudder to compensate. Works great at any rpm, I had to dock the boat 3 times cause it was so responsive and easy and fun! How was this evil prop walk eliminated you ask??? Well the great folks at Kilian Propeller in San Leandro California has put things called non-slip tips on the outside edge of the prop and it really works! The boat goes exactly where I want it to when backing or stopping, I swore I would tell everyone on this site! Kilian Propellers 2418 Teagarden St. San Leandro, CA 94577 (510) 614-0596 Really enjoying docking the boat! Charles & Lynn Duhon "Artistry"

K

Ken Palmer

They also have Web site

Very interesting post! I just looked up the web site for Kilian Propellers. It is http://www.kilianprop.com/products_offered.html Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Cupping too?

Charles: The process that you had done was with probably one of the top prop shops in the country. I have spoken with these guys before at the Sailboat shows in CA. The process that you had done involves putting "Canards or winglets" on the prop tips. Did they also cup the blades? What did they charge for the work? Do you still get the maximum RPM's (3600) out of your engine? I have considered having this done to mine too.

B

Bob Carlton

Hey Charles

Thanks for the info. A couple of questions. Was it costly? Do you have to send the prop to them and if so, how long for the turn around? Do the tips add more drag to (non-feathering) prop? Thanks in advance.

B

Bernie LaScala

Confused by proper pitch

I have been researching the right pitch prop for my 260. I have been concerned that I am reaching my boats hull speed of 6.3knots at only 2000 rpm on my outboard. What I have been told is that the hull speed rpm should be close to the design "wide open throttle" of my engine (4500 to 5500rpm). This gives you the engine's full horsepower that might needed under adverse condtions and makes the normal stress on the engine much less. It is my understanding that this applies to both inboard as well as outboards, planing hulls as well as displacement boats (like our sailboats). Are you getting different advice? I'd appreciate any information you could provide because I plan on changing my prop in the near future. By what I have been found, your engine's rpms should have dropped between 400 and 450 rpms when you changed to the 2 inches higher pitch prop. Is that correct? Thanks for your help.

C

Charles Duhon

Charles responds

The change in pitch and the non-slip tips cost about $125 and took about a week and a half. Have not tried to reach 3600 rpm but how often does anyone run at that speed ? Yanmar recommends a 15 x 15 prop and they assured me that a 15 x 14 would be ok for my engine. The pitch change was done by altering the blade angle without cupping so we could only go up 2" in pitch from a 15 x 12 to a 15 x 14. As for the other questions concerning other props and boats contact Tim at Kilian Propellers, he explains everything better than I can. Alls I know is that it worked wonders on my boat!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bob C:

Bob: The "winglets" actually reduce the size (diameter) of the prop (slightly) maybe 1" total. So you actually reduce drag ever so slightly too. When I spoke with these guys they explained that we would actually get some more rpms's from the engine because of the slightly smaller prop size so they need to re-pitch accordingly. They can do this to your existing prop. You would need to send them your prop or you could get another one (new or used) and they can rework it too. If my memory serves me, the cost was about $190 but I am not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.