Tombstone was Interesting

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Spent three nights (parts of four days) visiting Tombstone, Arizona, last week. For someone who has watched all three of the latest Hollywood versions of “OK Corral”, plus the Star Trek rendition (Spectre of the Gun), I was surprised to learn that the OK Corral was not the site of the infamous gunfight. It occurred in an empty lot near the corral. There were only eight participants—four cowboys (Clanton gang outlaws) and four marshals, if you count Holliday as one along with the three Earps. Three cowboys were killed; Ike Clanton ran away and lived a while longer until getting into trouble again. The Earps fled town a few weeks after the gunfight (October 26, 1881) after two brothers were shot (one killed) by resentful local cowboys. Altogether, the Earps were in Tombstone less than three years. The town folks’ favorite movie version appears to be the 1993 one starring Kurt Russel as Wyatt. I guess he most closely resembles the Marshall. Holliday’s line “I’m your Huckleberry” from that one appears on most everything of a souvenir nature--cups, posters, shot glasses, Tee-shirts, caps, etc.

The place is reminiscent of a theme park but it is an actual town, one that the silver-mining interests built in short-time to support mining operations. So its hey-days ended when mining ceased around 1889. The view of the Dragoon mountains toward east is very impressive. Those were the stronghold of Cochise, Geronimo, and their Chiricahua Apaches before they finally being taken into custody. A vast open area lies between the town and the mountains.

Boot Hill is situated on a sloping terrace with graves arranged in rows with all head markers (most of which are of wood) facing east toward the rising sun. “So cold, so still ...” goes the theme song of the Lancaster & Douglas movie version. The morning we visited it was cold; the coldest day of the week; in the 40s of degrees F with a fair breeze. Tombstone lies at 4541 feet elevation, so it’s cool/cold in fall & winter. Its motto is: “The Town too Tough to Die.” So there’s more history than what I relate here. It’s worth a visit to find out why.:)

PS: The nearest grocery store is 22 miles away. So come prepared!

KG

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The morning we visited it was cold; the coldest day of the week
Sorry about that. Land of extremes recently, with mostly record heat last month.
Lived in Tucson for the last 23 years and I've never visited Tombstone!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Been there cool town, remember seeing a vintage dentist tool kit purported to have been owned by Doc Holiday and a little cemetery with tombstones for the Clanton gang members, nothing else. Did the Earps sail away?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We had fun in Tombstone as a grad adventure with my daughter.

Walking down main street the locals came out of the bar and store fronts, dressed in cowboy and vintage dress. One of the cowboys approached my daughter. Then one of the ladies approached and started a fuss saying my daughter was a floosy taking advantage of the cowboy. A kangaroo court was surprisingly materialized and they brought out a stocks just in case she was found guilty. It was a hoot. Luckily she got off. Had her mom an me laughing.

It was an interesting experience. Hope you had fun.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Lived in Tucson for the last 23 years and I've never visited Tombstone!
It’s sort of common that local “attractions” are ignored. “Oh yeah, I can see that anytime, etc.” Lived here in the Los Angeles area for the past 21 yr and have not visited the La Brea Tar Pits. Very famous. Lots of visitors every year except maybe this year!! There are folks who have lived their whole lives here and not once taken the Catalina Express to Avalon! It’s certainly worth one visit across the San Pedro Channel.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Been there cool town, remember seeing a vintage dentist tool kit purported to have been owned by Doc Holiday and a little cemetery with tombstones for the Clanton gang members, nothing else. Did the Earps sail away?
Morgan Earp, the brother who was murdered while shooting pool, “left” in a casket on a train to the family (parents) home in Colton, CA for burial. The others I imagine rode their horses, of course.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hope you had fun.
We did. The wide open space, the Arizona vistas, and the relative quietness and solitude of the Tombstone area, high on a plateau, was nice; a welcome change from this busy, congested area. The drive along I-8 from near Tucson to San Diego, about 400 mi, is very pleasant at this time of year. The desert is a beautiful wilderness in its own right (i.e., when it’s not 100+ deg F). We stopped to walk along the Colorado River in Yuma where the river bed is at its narrowest. Yuma is an unexpectedly pretty “little” town (93,000 population). Looking forward to our next adventure. ;)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I got deployed to MCAS Yuma once in the summer. It was so hot we could only operate at night.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I got deployed to MCAS Yuma once in the summer. It was so hot we could only operate at night.
Yeah. For travel along I-8 in the summer once beyond the coastal climate influence it’s brutally hot. I-10 is no better.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yeah. For travel along I-8 in the summer once beyond the coastal climate influence it’s brutally hot. I-10 is no better.
I drove from San Antonio to my first duty station at MCAS El Toro in CA. Took the southern route through the desert. My windshield got sandblasted. Me and AZ don't get along :angry:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I drove from San Antonio to my first duty station at MCAS El Toro in CA. Took the southern route through the desert. My windshield got sandblasted. Me and AZ don't get along :angry:
It’s always the same equation. Good weather, good cruise; bad weather, bad cruise!