Toilet replacement questions

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Hello,
I’m replacing my Jabsco electric Head with a Dometic 7160 electric Head. The jabsco has an in and out at the pump, a hose that comes from below the inaccessible floor to the upper rear of the toilet, and another hose that connects to a fitting from in front of the pump and leads to a large discharge hose that disappears presumably to the holding tank.
The dometic seems to have water in and waste out and that’s it.
Currently there is a vented loop on the other side of the bulkhead that disappears below the floor so I’m not sure if it’s connecting point.
I’m confused about how to plumb the new head.
Any direction is appreciated.
Thanks.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You took my advice ...welcome aboard! I think you'll like it here! ( I found him on cruisers.com and told him there are a lot of good people here, so y'all need to be especially nice to him!)

T
he main thing for which you need immediate help is finding out how to gain access to those "inaccessible" areas. If you explore the Hunter forums you're likely to find one devoted to the 356, or close enough to it that are owners who can tell you exactly how to do it. You'll also want to check out the "forums for all owners"...a lot of good stuff in those that isn't "boat brand" specific.

-Peggie

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
WYC, photos might help. Peggy is really the expert on these things, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. Look at your new toilets required connections. I'd guess you'd have a water in from a thru hull - probably the first hose in your description. Then a hose going to your waste tank. Seems like the second hose in your description, but not 100% sure from what you wrote. I guess I'm not fully understanding your dilemma.

You'll need to look at the hoses you have, that first hose should not "disappear" under the floor, but should go to a thru hull with a ball valve to shut it off if needed. You do need to find that end.

Some photos will help with better advice.

dj

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I guess I'm not fully understanding your dilemma.
His dilemma is, he has hoses disappearing into apparently inaccessible places and needs help to find out how to create access to those places....which is important 'cuz his holding tank and most likely at least one thru-hull and maybe a macerator pump to is in those inaccessible places. I can help him with the plumbing, but only other Hunter owners who know how Hunter put things together can help him figure out how to open up those areas without damage.

--Peggie

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What year is your boat? Pictures are always helpful. Nothing really disappears on our boats.

Are you on the hard? Do you know where the thru hull valves are?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
It sounds as though the pump is integrated into the toilet input, without an extra hose from the pump output like the Jabsco head.
So, in this case your water from your through hull would need to be plumbed into the vented loop input, and the output of the loop goes to the pump input.
You can confirm this by looking at the Dometic install.
The vented loop is really important so that you don’t flood your boat. Be sure to get this right.