Toilet Issue

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I am having a bit of a problem with the toilet, notably when heeling more than 5• the toilet bowl starts to fill up with waste. I am guessing that a back check valve / seal has gone bad, but have no idea where to start investigating. Any thoughts / links to “how to” sites are appreciated.

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks Tim - guessing that I need to determine the model of my Jabsco to determine which replacement valve.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Raw water through hulls should be closed when sailing to prevent flooding since the bowl is below waterline

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Thanks Tim - guessing that I need to determine the model of my Jabsco to determine which replacement valve.
Probably any brand of joker valve will fit. They all look the same to me, and the outlet is always the standard 1.5" diameter. Whether the valve has 2 nodes or three, it's the same.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
If you are in doubt Peggy Hall, The Head Mistress is the Authority!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You rang??? :)

First, if you're certain your toilet is a Jabsco, there's only one manual Jabsco toilet. And this is the owners manual for it Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual However, electric toilets aren't uncommon on a 31' boat...if that's what yours is, I'll need the model # to know which one so I can give you the link to the manual for it.

If you're 100% certain that what you're seeing is runback from the tank, and if it only happens when you're heeled far enough, here's what's happening: When you're heeled, even a half full tank can spill into the toilet discharge line and run back to the toilet (also out the vent line which can cause other problems)... Where, in the discharge fitting you'll find a rubber one-way valve called the joker valve (I don't know why either)...it's a cup-shaped doodad with a slit in the bottom and "lips" on the outside of the bottom. (part #34 in the exploded drawing in the manual) A brand new one will block run back for a short while, but as flushes go through it, over time the slit and lips become stretched...at first it just allows slow seepage, but as the slit gets wider it allows more and more....until finally it's no longer a slit it's just a hole. So replacing the joker valve is the short term fix...but that's ok, 'cuz joker valves should be replaced at least annually anyway. There is a more or less permanent fix, but it requires completely rerouting the discharge line and you still should replace the joker valve every year.

You've made it pretty obvious that you don't have a clue how your toilet or anything else in a sanitation system works...but that's ok, none of us were born knowing anything about ANYthing. Which is why I've written a couple of books...you'll find a link to the current edition in my signature below.
The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Probably any brand of joker valve will fit. They all look the same to me, and the outlet is always the standard 1.5" diameter. Whether the valve has 2 nodes or three, it's the same.
Practical Sailor has done some testing of joker valves, but I don’t remember what they concluded. If you replace it every year it probably doesn’t matter which one you use.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Practical Sailor, 2016: "
Raritan PHII Joker valve
While initial lab testing suggested that the Jabsco joker valve might be the Best Choice (less leakage, more flexible) for the ubiquitous Jabsco manual heads (see PS July 2013 online), extended testing by multiple users, including live-aboards, returned a unanimous opinion that the Raritan PHII C254 joker valve fits in the Jabsco manual head just fine and lasts two to three times as long as the Jabsco valve."

I have no connection to either company and am not using either valve. I will switch to the Raritan PHII on my next change-out, due this fall.

I bought my boat in Jul 14 and on the voyage home, as soon as the boat healed more than 10 degrees, there was leakage into the head as described in the first post on this thread. A new joker valve fixed the issue. The head on my boat sees little use, and I've replaced the joker valve twice.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks to all - fixed the issue with a new joker valve this morning. The old one was clearly not closing fully and added it my annual maintenance list. Now for a quick sail on the Chesapeake to see if it holds under a good heel.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You'll also find that your toilet moves bowl contents a lot more efficiently with a new joker valve...and keeping the pump well lubricated helps too.

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That depends on how often you want to do it. Many people just flush a couple of tablespoons of veggie oil or liquid "head lube" every 2-3 weeks...kind of a never-ending job 'cuz anything thin enough to be flushed just washes out in a few flushhes but there 's a better way that usually lasts at least a year: replace the grease that's in every toilet when it leaves the factory...and it's actually pretty easy.

First thing to do: buy a tube of SuperLube thick grease (SuperLube has a complete line of lubricants...you ONLY want their thick grease in a tube...it's available from Home Depot and prob'ly Walmart too). Your toilet is a Jabsco...so remove the top, stick the tube nozzle into the pump and give it a healthy squirt--about a tablespoon. Replace the top, pump the toilet a few times to spread the grease all over the inside of it...and you're done.

--Peggie

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I am having a bit of a problem with the toilet, notably when heeling more than 5• the toilet bowl starts to fill up with waste. I am guessing that a back check valve / seal has gone bad, but have no idea where to start investigating. Any thoughts / links to “how to” sites are appreciated.
Try Head Lube - like motor honey it might just correct all ills.