Tohatsu Sail Pro starting issues

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
Looked through your photos. Looks like a twin to my boat - 1983 Cat 22 sail number 11619. My old outboard was an Evinrude 4.5, same design as yours. I've really enjoyed this boat.

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Oh yep, ours are very close! I'm getting closer and closer to being ready to put it on the water. Hoping to have all the initial mods done this weekend so I can get it out next week for my maiden voyage. I'm planning to start at the nearest lake (Clinton Lake) in the next week or so. We're pretty familiar with the lake, spent three years with our pontoon there. I'll probably stick to Clinton while I get all the improvements made and get familiar with the handling; then I'll be looking for road trips. :D

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Remove the spark plug and clean if it is black or replace it.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Remove the spark plug and clean if it is black or replace it.
IIUC, @brockangelo has a brand new motor. I would think the plug should be fine ?!? If not, is that a normal part of break-in (I've never had a brand new outboard), or something he should complain to the vendor about?

FWIW: I bought my Tohatsu 6 a few years old with <50 hours on it. It's always preferred a different starting sequence than the Honda that preceded it. My Sailpro likes:
  • ~1/3-1/2 throttle
  • Choke on
  • Pull cord ~2-3x (it rarely fires on the first pull, but usually on the 2nd or 3rd)
  • Reduce throttle to near idle (engine starts to rev, since we're starting at 1/3-1/2 throttle)
  • Gradually push in choke over 5-10 seconds (I've never had to wait minutes for it to warm up)
When cold, I let it idle for a minute or so before leaving the dock.

And, of course, your copy of the same motor will probably want a completely different sequence. Small motors are all possessed by malevolent spirits.