Tohatsu Sail Pro starting issues

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Well I’m finally getting around to starting my new Tohatsu 6HP Sail Pro and am having issues. I’ve been talking with my boating buddy and am coming up dry.

Today it started on the very first pull. It ran for a minute or two, then when I was easing off the choke it died. I wasn’t able to restart it. So I waited an hour and got it started again, only for it to die a minute later.

Here is what I have done:
Added 12 oz of oil, then about 6 more ounces. I have it in neutral. Choke is out. Fuel line is connected and clicked into place. Fuel vent is open on the tank. I’ve primed the fuel bulb as tight as it will go. It is in a five gallon bucket and water was spitting out when it was running. I had a beer. I tried it again. I raised the fuel tank up so it is level with the motor. I checked the screw on the fuel thingy and when I unscrewed it, fuel came out, so I tightened it back up but not too tight. I started a glass of wine.

I’m at a loss. I will continue trying it every hour, since waiting seems to be the only thing that gets it going again. I’ve not tried whiskey or any kind of alcohol, maybe that’s my problem?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Brand new
Call the dealer you brought it from.

I have heard of similar issues with motors that are a few years old, but a new one shouldn't have issues as long as you follow the mfg instructions. Our sailpro hasn't had that issue in the 4 years we have had it.

Feb 28, 2022
I got it from online outboards. Think there is anything they could do at this point?

Feb 28, 2022
Think it would matter that I didn’t keep the box and packing materials?

Feb 28, 2022
I’ll get in touch with them though. Might as well start at the source

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
FWIW: When a motor is warm it shouldnt need a choke. Sometimes when it is partially warm it needs only part choke so pull it out part way.

If the bulb is pumped too tight it can force fuel into the motor and flood it, and then having the choke on makes it even worse since that reduces air.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I’ll get in touch with them though. Might as well start at the source
Think it would matter that I didn’t keep the box and packing materials?
I wouldn't assume you have to send it back.

Btw: Motors need a break in period that is listed in the manual so make sure you follow that once you have it figured out.
I did the initial break in in a very large garbage can full of water. I used a 55 gal drum in the past. the remaining breakin takes time and was done while in use at the lake while under load

Feb 28, 2022
Okay thanks. I have it in a five gallon bucket that appears deep enough since it is spitting water out when it was working. I’ll definitely reach out to them

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Okay thanks. I have it in a five gallon bucket that appears deep enough since it is spitting water out when it was working. I’ll definitely reach out to them
A 5 gallon bucket's water will heat up fast because the cooling water is recycling.

A big container is preferred. I usually check the water temp to make sure it doesn't climb much above normal lake/ocean temp. Worst case keep refilling the bucket with a hose.

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
I also just got a Tohatsu sailpro from online outboards. It's very touchy about the choke, I have to let it run a bit (30sec) and let the choke off gradually. My old Evinrude would die if I didn't let the choke off right away. This one dies it I let it off too quickly.

I agree with Leeward Rail, pumping the bulb too hard floods it.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Does it always cut off when you disengage the choke? Does the engine rev up normally when running or does it sputter? For how long will it run before it dies? There is either an interruption of fuel flow or the electrical spark. A bad fuel pump, blocked carburetor passage or a fouled coil. If it starts and runs fine and suddenly it dies I would bet on a bad coil that worked fine when cool but then fails to produce a spark in timing up when it heats up. If the engine sputters and runs unevenly then it is fuel related and would point to the fuel pump or carburetor malfunctions. Make sure the screws attaching the carburetor to the manifold are tight and the fuel tank is properly vented. The seller should be able to direct you to a repair shop in your vicinity where they could properly diagnose the issue. The engine is running so your issue is likely minor and once corrected you will have a good engine.

• Helpful
Feb 28, 2022
This time was a success. I took advice from several of you: made sure the screw to the fuel filter under the cover was snug, didn’t prime the fuel bulb to crazy pressure (in fact, it was squishy, not tight) then it started up on the first pull and ran for close to fifteen minutes. Left the choke in for the first five minutes, then excruciatingly slowly took the choke out in very small increments, waiting for several minutes at each stage. Finally was able to give it gas and fully idle it with the choke completely closed. Thanks all!

Hope this is helpful for the next new owner of a Tohatsu!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
didn’t prime the fuel bulb to crazy pressure (in fact, it was squishy, not tight
That's the idea. Doesn't need to be tight. Squishy works.

Unlike fuel injection , a carb is not a pressurized system.

The priming bulb is just to fill the fuel hose and put a tiny amount in the carb.
Once the motor is running, the carburetor diaphragm sucks fuel from the fuel tank. (That is why the fuel tank doesn't need to be above the carburetor. It isn't gravity fed)

The fuel tank air vent needs to be open when the engine is running otherwise the diaphragm won't be able to suck fuel and the engine will stop.
(I guarantee that one day, you will forget to open the vent, and you will be motoring through the marina and the motor will suddenly die unexpectedly. Check to make sure that vent is open before you start thinking the motor has an actual problem. Been there,.done that.:facepalm:)

If the priming bulb is too tight, it often forces fuel into the carb..You shut the motor off.... Later you pump too much, when the hose is already full,.and it forces fuel into the motor and floods it so it won't start.
Often, you don't need to prime it at all if the motor was run recently.

You may notice other sailboats,.both outboard and inboard, let their engines warm up before they leave the dock. That way the choke on a gasoline engine is now off, and the motor won't stall just when you need it in the marina. It also allows you to make sure it is running ok, no fuel leaks, cooling water is flowing etc.

Glad you got it figured out. Each motor is slightly different in how it behaves. Our Sailpro took a bit to get used to, after using the Mercury 15 2 stroke I had before.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I have the propane model and my choke is also persnickety 5min full choke another 5-7 1/2 choke. it really takes about 15min to get to running temp. Luckily never an in a hurry with a sailboat.