Tohatsu 6hp Outboard Flush Plug

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 25 Venture Long Beach Harbor
I have a new outboard for my sailboat, and I am struggling to find the port where the flush adapter should thread into. Location is not in the manual. Its not in an obvious/visible spot (I believe). Does any one have a picture of it?

Jun 1, 2015
Thanks Tony. I had downloaded the manual, even been to a dealer, with a service manager who couldn't point it out.. Ya I won't be buying, or bringing work there..

Anyway, as noted, not obvious.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Immerse the prop and anti-cavitation plate in a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water and fire her up.
Forget that "special" fitting.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Get this tubing and hose connector that my oB dealer installed. Stays connected to flush port, just unscrew the white plug, hook up hose flush and put plug back in. You can see it in my pix leading around the motor to the front.
Add extra slot to motormount (1).JPG

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have a new outboard for my sailboat, and I am struggling to find the port where the flush adapter should thread into. Location is not in the manual. Its not in an obvious/visible spot (I believe). Does any one have a picture of it?
The intake is on the bottom side of the cavitation plate. There's nothing to hook an adapter to, just a strainer about the size of your thumb nail. Start the motor and hold a garden hose up against the strainer, and the motor will instantly pick up the water it needs. It only takes a few seconds to flush out the salt water.

If you want to run the engine longer, a bucket is the only way.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Get this tubing and hose connector that my oB dealer installed. Stays connected to flush port, just unscrew the white plug, hook up hose flush and put plug back in. You can see it in my pix leading around the motor to the front. View attachment 130572
That's pretty cool, I didn't know that was a possibility! Much better than a bucket!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You know, I have the pricey flush adapter for my Tohatsu 9.8 but use the $5 flush muffs I picked up at malwart most of the time. Thread up the hose, slide the muffs over the coolant intake and get'er done. The thought of losing that little flush-port screw over the side while flushing my outboard makes the thing pretty much useless unless I am back a the house.

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
The muffs don't work on the 6 hp as the intake is a single forward facing opening on the lower shaft.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Not sure which model you have but one of he manuals shows the adapter fitting on the underside of the power head aft of the shaft.

IMG_5167.PNG

Jun 1, 2015
I think that is what I needed to see. I had looked at those bolt heads, and unsure which one could be it. Pretty small.

Several great ideas, short term, or long (most temporary choices become 'long term' for me). Thanks to all!

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
If it's like mine it's painted white. I double checked today and that is the correct bolt/plug.