to buy or not to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

k d

would a 33 hunter be good for coastal cruising,I'am thinking of getting a 79-83 model but as always there is a fairly tight budget. i have a 27 now which of coarse needs to be sold. is it that much more to handle six more feet of boat. I single hand much of the time now and don't have a lot of trouble, but its interesting to lower ,and stow sails while pointing into the wind and avoiding the powerboaters.anything i should look out for in a saltwater boat any sugestions greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

T

Tom M.

27 is GOOD but a 33 is BETTER

The 33 hunter was designed by John Cheribini, who actuall designed it for his brother, who wanted a fast, cruiser racer, the boat had two cabin lines, and was a custom boat built by the cheribini family in new jersey, the name of the company was Raider yachts, and the design was rated "one of the best" by independant designers. then hunter needed a 33 so John sold them on his original design. Cheribine has been and is a designer for boeing in seattle. The hunter 33 is not as wide, and has far less freeboard, than the newer european style Hunters, but is a far better sailer than the new boat and better than your 27, I own a 1983 27'Hunter, so I would say yes to your new aquistiion. good luck

T

Terry Arnold

H 33 merits

Tom, as an owner of a 79 H 33, you have told me much more than I knew about the design history of the boat. What is the source of your information? To k d of Lake Norman, I have sailed my boat for about a year and a half in the Florida Panhandle area and like it better and better. It is no slouch in speed and has a good cockpit layout for single handing. It would handle as easily single handed as your 27 I'm sure. Search the archives for H 33 and you will find a lot of folks who have had good experiences with this boat. Good luck Terry

T

Tom M.

TO TERRY ARNOLD

Terry, one of the books, that had an article was best designed yachts, by mates, i believe???, the 33, by today's standard is too narrow, and doesn't have that much room down below, this is true if you so desire a damn house boat, but if you so desire to take her out in the blue, with little modifications, she'd be a lot better than those sea slugs, the 33 has some fine lines, and retain a classical style,and for some reason, the price range is below her actual value, to me, she's far better than anything Hunter is producing today, her hull and keel design was also carried on to the 36 & 37 Hunters, so take pride in owning and enjoying the Hunter 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.