To 26x or not to 26x............

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil

That is the question............. I am thinking of buying a sail boat. This is my first and I will be sailing with family (4 of us in total). It seems to me that the 26X is everything we need, yet I read many side jibes against this boat. Yes I recognize there are compromises one must make with a sailboat that has power capabilities but how great is this? There are snobs out there, purists sailors who would not be seen dead in such a boat this is becoming obvious to me, but if they have never been in a Mac how can they judge. They have a naked opinion. So tell me, anyone who REALLY knows, how does the sailing capability rate? Is this a good, safe first boat? I am no racer, I will be a cruiser. Will I/we be frustrated or in love with this boat in 2 years when we move from beginner to novice status? I am not looking to stir up a Mac26X fight here I am merely looking for the opinions of folk who have sailed these boats and have the ability to fairly judge the performance. Many thanks. Regards Phil

M

Michael Shomate

Got one....love it!

I got my Mac26x in late May. My wife and I have enjoyed it very much. We are first time sailers and have found the Mac26x easy to learn and sail. I think it's a good first sailboat beacuse it's trailerable, easy to set-up, launch and maintain (no teak). It appears to be well built with only a few exceptions. This Forum has been a great deal of help (and amusement). I'm impressed with some of the modifications that owners have made, and look forward to making a few of my own, some based on what I've seen. Look at Catalina 25 and Seaward 25 also. Don't make your decision until you've looked and compaired them all. If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to email me at mshomate@bellsouth.net

F

Flip

I love it

While I havn't sailed the others, I have sailed the 26X in good weather and bad. It handles adequately, not as fast as keel boats, but fast enough. Very safe if handled correctly, and the most trailerable. If not for trailering, one could pick up a used keel boat for less money.

S

Steve

It has a lot going for it.

I have a Mac 26x and love it. I looked at a lot of other trailerable boats, and this has so much more for the money. Hunter and Catalina have very nice boats in this size range, but they are more expensive, heavier, have less interior room, and they are harder to trailer. The West-Wright Potter is a good trailerable sail boat, but it's interior is small and it's not very attractive. I chose the 26x because I don't have a marina, I have a driveway, a few lakes and a river. The 26x goes everywhere.

D

dan

Get REAL !

Phil I have a 98' 26X and sail the lakes around the Rockies. The 26X is a powerboat that sails. The earlier 26S is a sailboat that trailers. If you really want to SAIL with your family get a used keel sailboat and leave it in the water ! that is all..........dan

B

Bob Cardoza

That is the question...

I have a love/hate relationship with my Mac.. I have a 26x, a little Compac, a Fin keel racer an O'day Javelin and an O'day Daysailer. I love all sailboats even the walker bay dinghy has the sail kit. I'm stating this as a testiment of how poor I am, but just as a point of where I feel the Mac 26x lies. When sailing the heavy keeled boats, you feel like your cruising the way sailing was meant to be. I love the way keel boats sail. When sailing small centerboard daysailers like my little O'days, you feel like your sailing on the edge. Every little mistake you make feeds back instantly. You constently need to know where the winds is, adjusting the centerboard, body weight, and sail trim. This is also lot's of fun. I've still yet to capsize them. But ready if they do. And best of all, the're a dream to tow and launch. When sailing the Mac26x it's like your sailing the the little daysailers but in slow motion. It takes a while to make the Mac sail effectively. You have to make piece with the centerboard and the way the boat is rigged. There are many improvements to make the boat a better sailing vessel but only a few of them are necessary, several are really convenient but the boat can be enjoyed out of the box. The only thing I wish the MacX did better was motor into shallow Marina's better. Once you put the rudders and centerboard up the fun really begins. I've yet to hit anyone yet, but there has been several times that almost comes to mind. What it does wonderfully, is Trailer/Launch. It seems like the boat would launch in mud. The tires on my tow vehicle have yet to get wet. I would almost have water in the back seat before the Compac would launch. With the MaxX, I can plan trips to the south this winter and use the Mac as a trailer in campgrounds on the way down. (Not to mention all of the rest areas on the way for lunches) I Think I'll put a Good Sam sticker over the BoatUS Sticker this winter. I think of it as taking land yachting to the next level.

K

Ken Smith

does it all

I have five boys, perfect boat, the kids like to motor, fish, wake board, and only sail when it's windy. The boat has the conforts needed and I trailer it so the cost is kept down. Trailering allows me to go on trips and camp out in the boat. We have two kayaks we take with us also. My top speed has been 10.5 mph by gps. My grounds are Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Niagara River above the falls great view, and the 1000 Islands. If your good with your hands the mac is perfect because you get a shell and this allows you to do mods that meet your needs. Ken

K

Keith Berglund

I tried the 26x and didn't like it.

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to “baby sit” a friend of mines 26x for a couple of years while he was out of the country. Of course I got to sail it whenever I wanted. At that time, I owned a small 16’ American A-16 daysailor, but wanted to upgrade to something bigger. This was a great chance to test drive somebody else’s boat to determine if I wanted to buy one myself. To sum it up, I do NOT now own a 26X. Instead, I have a MacGregor 23 cutter that I’m in love with. The 26X has it’s good points and bad points. First the good: * It had that 50 HP outboard that will make the boat fly. I love sailing, but sometimes you want to get from here to there quickly. * It is a floating RV! There is plenty of head room (not to mention a real head), and plenty of storage – no claustrophobia here. * It is easy to maintain and clean. * If you’re not into wood refinishing – there is none. * It’s easy to trailer and launch. Now the bad: * It sails like a PIG. It doesn’t point worth a hoot and just sits there in light airs. * With that high freeboard, there is a lot of leeway. Also, getting it back on the trailer in a crosswind is very difficult and you’d better have your fenders out while coming into a slip with a crosswind. * Even used, it is expensive relative to other used MacGregor and similar sailboats. * I think it’s ugly, but that just may be me ;-) Sail on several different types of boats before you buy. At least you may find out what you don’t like.

P

Phil

Thanks....'tis not to be

Thanks to all who have replied. Your input has really helped. At this stage I think I am leaning toward a 26S rather than the X, in no small part due to the input recieved. It seems that the sailing capabilities of the S are better and probably better to learn on too. The price is better also!! Yes, I will not have a power boat, but then that was never my dream and I thought I could have both. In the end I really want to sail and I think the 26X will ultimatly be too much of a compromise and the 26S a better choice. Good decision?? I hope so. Thanks again. Regards phil

J

Jeff G

Been There

Phil, I just went through the same thing and decided on a 26S as well. I do have a 25hp on the boat, but I really did want a boat that sailed better than it motored. Good luck, Jeff

R

Rick Dieffenbach

MAC 26X Best for Overall Family Fun

I bought a 2002 26X last season, after having owned a runabout. We had a wonderful summer and are counting the days to the spring. To us, the 26X is the best of all worlds. In a word, 'flexible'. Here's what we've done with ours this first summer: - As a brand new sailor, my wife and I learned with confidence on the X; - Easy launch and as someone else said... practically launch in mud; - Pull the nose on the beach, sit on the beach and later twist the boat around and simply step up the back ladder from the beach edge; - With bad weather approaching or the sun setting, drop the sails and kick in the 50 HP motor and move to safety and securement quickly; - Sleep on a king size aft bunk while our 6' tall son enjoys the bow bunk, and a guest beds down on the starboard bunk; - Cook at the galley while standing straight up (OK, I'm not 6'...) - Use the enclosed head while standing (with a slouch, but still, we guys got to be guys...) - Get tired of sailing in one location, and another weekend trailering the boat to a lake an hour away; - Drop the centerboard down a tad and pivot on a dime when docking or manuevering in tight areas while under power; in water that would not reach my waist; - been pulled easily by my truck; when I brake I barely know the boat is behind me (the surge brakes have worked great); the boat is incredibly light without ballast; - Raise and lower using the mast using raising system with ease; - Turn A LOT of heads as we zip past powerboats with our throttle cranked up (we hope we did no injure anyone's neck) I can tell you this.. every person I've shown our 26X to has immediately seen the flexibility benefits that this boat has to offer. Compromise? I am so glad we did not compromise by simply getting a boat that could only sail, or could only power. :)

73mensailed

to not

Everyone that has a 26x seems to be so pleased with the fact that it can get you someplace faster by kicking in the 50hp engine. Well any power boat can do that. The question you need to ask yourself is do we want to really sail? Or do you want to powerboat and sail sometimes. Part of sailing is setting a course, knowing and using the weather. Know when to set sail for the open sea and when to head for safety. "Powerboats will take you to a destination, Sailing is the destination." We have a 26s. It's our destination.

B

Ben

Jealous

I am really tired of people concentrating on the "50" horsepower motor. I have had my 26X for two months now and have had it out 5 times. 3 of those trips were without any wind. So I fired up that nasty 50 horsepower motor and went fishing at the back of the lake. On the days when there was wind I sailed and enjoyed the heck out of it. Next summer I plan to get a Tube and Go tubing on the lake. The cabin is the largest I saw when I was shopping around. The only thing your "Sailboat" can do better that my X is maybe sail faster, and that is not a given. It may not be the right boat for you but I did a lot of research and it is for me and the few owners I have met in the last two months. Thanks for listening.

R

Rick Dieffenbach

Simple Logic

A Simple Minded Guide to Selecting a boat: 1. Want a traditional sail and no trailerability? Buy a keel sailboat. 2. Want trailerability in a sailboat that can out run a 26X? Buy a 26S. (Not sure why speed between S's and X's are so often used as decision point, but since it is, I've included it.) 3. Want trailerability in a sailboat that can also be used as a 'speedboat' when needed to move along at 12-18 knots? Buy a 26X. (Or perhaps a 26M???) 4. Want trailerability and the highest speed? Buy a speed boat. To argue which boat is "best" is silly. There can be no argument because the best boat is the one that is best FOR YOU. So, start with a decision tree like the one above and go from there. Determine what you want in a boat. Then find the boat to fill the want.

73mensailed

sub-catagory

Could it be that the 26x should be under the "motor-sailer" catagory. Maybe if it was advertised as such from the begining, there would never be room for an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.