Tiny multimeter

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That if f***ing cool!!!! It also can serve as an oscilloscope.

I want one!

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
What a neat tool!
I've got a new RC sailboat that's giving me fits. Onboard power to the receiver (5V) comes from the sail winch (7.5 V) - which I suspect is flakey. I could put this into the boat then monitor things as it sails. Wish I had it a week ago!

Nov 26, 2016
Hunter 38 Gananoque, Ontario
Wow - I want one too, especially for the logging capability. I wanted to find out exactly what my charger/batteries were doing when left alone for a few days so I bought a Fluke 289 logging meter for over $500. This also looks like a great gift for a friend who keeps giving me tools every time I borrow something. Only problem is they are not available yet - joined the mailing list...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I registered on the site. I expect I'll be notified when they become available. Is there something on their Facebook? I don't do FB. I wonder how you get an early bird discount if it's not even available now.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I signed up too. I couldn't find anything about an availability date but I'll post when I find out.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
That if f***ing cool!!!! It also can serve as an oscilloscope.

I want one!
It is cool, but be aware that the o'scope functions are at an audio rate... it won't help you determine issues with your NMEA 2000 data stream. "Pico is intended for low voltage work up to audio frequencies." Their 200k/s rate won't help you much with your 1Mbit/s datastream.

Other than that, it is interesting... the data logger function would be nice to track power or temp over time.... verify your charger is working right or the fridge is keeping things as cold as you hope.

I imagine it is a bluetooth device... so it isn't as if you could leave this in place and check the situation remotely.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If it is good upto 200k then it should work fine for data rates 9600, 4800, 2400, and lower. So it might just work at NMEA (non 2000 stream).

I'll wait until they put a spectrum analyzer that works 30 Hz to 26 GHz. LOL

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Check out the Mooshimeter. I have one, this thread just reminded me of that, but I've not yet had a chance to even open the box. Maybe I'll get to it next week..

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I've had my eye on this one:
https://www.wirelessmultimeter.com
Designed as permanent installation. Waterproof. And measures up to 30A without a shunt. Good for solar. Or can use shunt for higher.
Only problem is its Android only.
:-|

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Note that the Pico Meter has a 42 Volt AC max.. can't be used for AC side of house or boat circuits.
Would be extremely useful in looking at things like starter voltage during start up or voltage drop in the harness quick connects.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I got an email back from the pico-meter people:

"Thanks for your email first of all. We've been working very hard to get Pico going on such a small size. We are thinking on running a Kickstarter Campaign, where we should be able to ship units in August 2017."

It sounds like it is still vapor-ware and they don't currently have the funding to pull it off. If they don't have funding yet, I find it a wee bit optimistic suggesting an August 2017 ship date. My guess is these guys don't have much experience in hardware development.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I got an email back from the pico-meter people:

"Thanks for your email first of all. We've been working very hard to get Pico going on such a small size. We are thinking on running a Kickstarter Campaign, where we should be able to ship units in August 2017."

It sounds like it is still vapor-ware and they don't currently have the funding to pull it off. If they don't have funding yet, I find it a wee bit optimistic suggesting an August 2017 ship date. My guess is these guys don't have much experience in hardware development.
The Mooshimeter is available now.....

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Sparkfun has the mooshimeter - $120. They are a great company - I've spent way too much money there.

Looking at the pico again it looks like the week point is the darn probes. you go thru probes when really using meters, and some times you want points, sometime alligator clips others - rings -

With the standard meter plugs - Mooshimeter looks like it would be a better long term buy than the pico - even at $40 more.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Sparkfun probably does more direct than through Amazon. There's some kind of notification in email almost every week.
It could get real expensive, real fast.