Time sharing

• Thread starter SailboatOwners.com Editorial
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com Editorial

Do you share your sailing time with other activities? Golf, tennis, cycling, and other outdoor activities put more demands on your time when the weather is good. How do you divide your time among multiple hobbies and budget what good weather you get? Share your time-sharing tips here, then vote in this week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Sharing activities

The only activites that I share with are my Honey do's and some social events.

P

Paul Akers

New England?

The boat gets put away in October and then we go skiing until March when the boat prep work starts again.

B

Bob

Give it all of 90%

Except for grand childrens birthdays and religious time dependent events, most everything else can be done on off days (garden, house fix-up, tree cuttings). Thanks to certain elements of the aging process, biking, hiking, (never golfed anyway), are all on the back burner anyway. Since the sailing season is so short here (moorings / dockages) generally only last 6 months, and my deep water slip is quite away from completion. Quite aways away ;^) Bob

S

Steve

Sail all summer and snowboard all winter. What a wonderful life. Aren't we lucky!

D

Duane

Its balance...

As with everything there is balance. In that spirit, I would hate to be unhealthy by obsessing on sailing and my boat, so I split time equally with other interests and life in general. When Im not sailing, Im swimming off the back of the boat, or rowing to an island, or hiking on that island. I also work 4 days a week. When not sailing I read (in the cockpit usually), do chores, cook, eat, and breathe. Without this life balance, sailing would be nowhere near as enjoyable. duane

G

Winter

I usually pull the boat the first week in November. It takes about another two weekends to get everything squared away for the big sleep. Between Thanksgving, Christmas and New Years we are in to January before I know it and then the anticipation begins to build for spring outfitting, do at home chores and an occassional visit to the boat. Wait for the ice to melt and put in late March or early April. I don't know how I feel about sailing all year since I believe I would miss the anticipation of the Spring launch and meeting old sailing friends in the yard that I haven't seen all winter. I guess that is why I enjoy the change of seasons so much. Of course I do get down to Florida for a bout a week in February. As the joints get stiffer I may be more inclined to fins a more temperate climate.

S

Sean

Motorcyle/Sailboat

I have ridden bike's for years. Purchased my Cat 27 two years ago, and just got rid of my 1995 Harley Davidson Softail. I guess I can say I finally have matured, LOL. Actually the bike sat almost all sping (perfect riding weather) as I continued to work on the boat and take the family out. Summer came, bike still sitting......a decision had to be made. So far I have survived but when a couple of bikes go tearing by......it does make me wonder.

E

Ed Schenck

Bicycle/Sail

After many years of training and racing I am afraid to stop. But bicycling at my level is time consuming. I have cut back from over 16 hours per week to around 6 hours and feel guilty about the lack of exercise. And I miss the adrenalin rush from competition. Do you get that from sailboat racing?

F

Fireworks

Time

First A round of golf can take between 4 and 6 hours. Second requires practice, pratice pratice. Third You cant take a bottle of beer with you on the course. Sailing first, takes what ever time you want Second requires trial and error and Third you can bring a case of cold ones!!! Lets go Sailing!!!

D

David Foster

Canoeing and travel...once upon a time

We travel (to the family, mostly) and canoe, but I have to admit that the canoe hasn't seen much use this summer since we bought the boat.

M

Mark

Work/Sail

I am a firefighter and work hard doing what we do. In my free time I teach CPR classes. But...EVERY MONTH... I schedule five straight days to go cruising around the San Juan Islands in my Cat 30. It is a 600 mile drive for me to get to Bellingham, but I love sailing SO much that you can easily spot me driving I90 towards Seattle. I'm the one with a BIG SMILE on my face!

D

Doug Margison

Wish I could sail all the time, but

I have to work through the week and sail on weekends. Usually play tennis or go for walks during the week. Love sailing and tennis, so quite often take my raquet to the boat on weekends also as there are courts near our marina where we go to play after a day of sailing. Golf is a great sport, but as someone else said, not enough time to spend 6 hrs on a golf course. Doug sv Mokum II

J

Joe R

All or None

Dont even think of bothering me during sailing season. Dont rudely impose upon me for family bar-b-ques. Don't you dare have a birthday party for me to go to. Dont even bother me with my own summer birthday, I've got better things to do. I've got bigger fish to fry. thank you very much. See you in November

D

Don H.

Eat, Sleep and Sail.

There's no money (or time) left over for anything else.

H

Harry Asbury

Sailing/Flying/Shooting

We live 15 min. from our boat and we can sail all year long. Do alot of our sailing after work, grill dinner while watching the sunset, an hour or two night sail, go home and work the next day. All year long. I like to fly when the weather is nice or if I have to get somewhere fast. It's like sailing, weather, currents, balance and trim, planning your route, just a lot faster. Like sailing I've been into the shooting sports (no hunting, I don't even fish) since I was a little guy. The problem with it is when I shoot in some types of matches from start to finish can be as short 4 seconds (speed steel). Others take all day (Cowboy Single Action). A lot of fun but not very relaxing. So it depends on what I want to do and who I want to do it with at the time.

A

Alan Liebnick

Sailing Long Island Sound

Now that the kids are back at school, my wife and I sail Long Island sound together on Wednesdays. My 2 year old just sleeps in the forward vee-berth of our Hunter31. Since I'm off on Wednesdays we drop the two older ones at the school bus stop and head down to the boat and sail till about 3:00 in time to pick them up. Sailing has a new face when it is just the two of us. Last week we had the pleasure of seeing and pacing the AMISTAD sailing from New haven to Bridgeport. Weekends are for soccer games!

S

SailboatOwners.com

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 9/18/2000: 45% No 31% Other 19% Golf 6% Tennis

Status
Not open for further replies.