Tilt lock for Hunter 26.5 Nissan 9.9 outboard

Jun 4, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 281 Cheney Reservoir
Does anyone have a solution for getting the outboard out of the water and holding it in place? My stock motor has a tilt lock, but it is manual not automatic. One must pull the motor out of the water and while it is up, manually move the tilt lock into place. Very awkward, especially since the best position for doing so is while standing on the swim ladder.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I have the same problem on my 2006 Nissan 8HP (exact same motor as the Nissan/Tohatsu 9.8HP, not sure if this is the same as your 9.9?)- did some research and later models of these motors came with a spring-loaded tilt bracket instead of the manual one. There was technical bulletin from Tohatsu on the change. Your can replace the original tilt stopper with the newer spring-assisted version, part number 3V1624311. You cannot just add the spring, have to get the whole tilt stopper. I'm planning to change mine this winter.

This discussion provides the details- make sure we are talking about the same motor:

Jun 4, 2020
I have the same problem on my 2006 Nissan 8HP (exact same motor as the Nissan/Tohatsu 9.8HP, not sure if this is the same as your 9.9?)- did some research and later models of these motors came with a spring-loaded tilt bracket instead of the manual one. There was technical bulletin from Tohatsu on the change. Your can replace the original tilt stopper with the newer spring-assisted version, part number 3V1624311. You cannot just add the spring, have to get the whole tilt stopper. I'm planning to change mine this winter.

This discussion provides the details- make sure we are talking about the same motor:
My motor is likely about 1990-94 9.9. Pretty old, but lots of things don't change much so it might work. Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The 8 and 9.9 are the same engine but different carburetor for the extra hp from Tohatsu. Thank you @caverun N should be M for CAVE RUM Reminds me of Franklin County My last name of course add another letter and a whole lot of nicknames but controversial to put here. Just call me crazy.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I doubt the part I mentioned will fit your older 9.9hp. Here's a picture in case that helps. Maybe you could rig a spring to accomplish the same thing, keeping the stopper pulled up so it engages automatically when you pull up the motor.

Attachments

Jun 4, 2020
For the time being, I am using a block and tackle and a hook on the end attached to the frame just below the shroud. It does the job, although I have to keep the "twist" stopper bolt very tight so the motor doesn't flop one way or the other.