tiller tenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wayne

I have a 1985, 25 ft. MacGregor. In lieu of purchasing an autohelm it was suggested to me to buy and install a tiller tender. Have any of you had any experience with this piece of equipment? Does it 'work'? Is it easy to install? I would appreciate any information regarding the tiller tender. Thank you for your help.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Look 17 subjects below.

Look below to EZ Steer System. That tells it all.

D

Dave Glovin

Don't go sailing without one!

I have a 1987 26D with a "Tiller Tamer" purchased from West Marine. If this one breaks, I won't go out again until I have purchased a new one. This simple system consists of a small enclosed block which attaches to the tiller with a couple of screws, two small clam cleats at the aft port and starboard and a line running through the block and secured in the cleats. Once you have found the wind and set your sails, set the tiller tamer and relax. You now have two free hands and actually get a few things done while you sail. I imagine a more sophisticated auto-helm is available... but not for twenty five bucks!

D

Dave Schiller

tiller tender

A cheap alternative that works just fine is to take a 1/8 inch line, tie it on one side, wrap it twice around the tiller, then put a loop in it with a double half hitch. Use a bungee to tension it (not too tight) to the other side. Works real well. I have gone miles and just given it a little nudge every now and then. Have fun.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Extend yourself.

I prefer to just swing the tiller extension over about 90 degrees and drop the ball-end or T-end into a receptacle to hold the course straight ahead. A telescoping tiller extension can be adjusted to any course within reason. You could make a chock for it yourself for a few bucks. --And if you are sailing a Venture WITHOUT a tiller extension/hiking stick, you are missing at least half the fun!!! JC

J

Jerry

Go Cheap

I had a tiller tamer on my former O'day 22- got in the way! Now, I just tie a bungee cord from port to starboard, with a wrap around the tiller. On the other hand, I'm rigging for major electrical toys, auto tiller on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.