Tiller, Rudder, etc.

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
Changing out the tiller today. The rudder stock (?) or bracket is filthy. Apparently, it was left in the water. Any advice on how to clean it?

I was thinking I'd sand the rudder and then put a finish on it. As far as the bracket, I have no ideas.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Perhaps it is the pics, but I don't see anything wrong with the metal pieces. If it is just looks you are worried about, then use a S/S polish and some elbow grease. Don't use steel wool or wire wheels, as they will leave minute steel residue which will rust and make things look worse.
The other parts could use a good sanding, but it would help to know what paint was previously used. An epoxy won't adhere very well on enamel or water based paints.

May 31, 2023
Thanks capta, very helpful. There's no way I could know what was on it before as I bought it like this.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I believe the original finish on the rudder blade was varnished wood (Mahogany most likely), if in doubt about compatibility, sand/strip and start fresh. Then the best way to keep it clean is to remove the rudder and stow it in the cuddy when not using boat.

May 31, 2023
I believe the original finish on the rudder blade was varnished wood (Mahogany most likely), if in doubt about compatibility, sand/strip and start fresh. Then the best way to keep it clean is to remove the rudder and stow it in the cuddy when not using boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
You really need several coats of a good marine varnish to protect the wood, or one good coat of Epoxy resin with 2-3 coats of a good UV-resistant varnish.