Tiller pilot

Mar 11, 2014
I see that some of you folks have installed these. I'm about to install a St 2000. I plan on installing it on the Port side under the panel. Seemed there was too much going on behind where would need to be attached on the starboard side.

Any thing to watch out for?
Given the shape of the tiller seemed it was gonna be quite low so I'm adding a Tiller Bracket to raise it another couple of inches off the deck. Want to keep it from getting pooped in a following sea... I've already had that happen where I felt my feet wet and had 2 inches of water in the cockpit.

Did you all just wire it to an open "Instrument breaker?

Given the slope of the tiller how did you account for the need to have the connect pin 90 degrees to the deck vs pitched back due to the slope of the tiller? I was planning on bending the Bracket so it allows for a 90 degree angle to the deck, is that needed?

Any other Gotchas?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Did you all just wire it to an open "Instrument breaker?
Your tiller pilot wants a higher amperage breaker than what's probably on your existing panel.

Given the slope of the tiller how did you account for the need to have the connect pin 90 degrees to the deck vs pitched back due to the slope of the tiller? I was planning on bending the Bracket so it allows for a 90 degree angle to the deck, is that needed?
It's a ball and socket joint at the tiller, so there's some wiggle room.